Can i candle too much?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechickman04, Jun 11, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i love candeling my eggs and seeing the little chicks inside...will it hurt the chicks if i candle once a day?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Well, I have heard that you're only supposed to candle at day 7,14 and 18 but then there's also people on here that candle once a day and say it doesn't hurt the chicks one bit.
    My personal opinion is this: candle if you want, but make it quick and be very gentle with the eggs. I think as long as you're not too rough with them and they get chilled for too long, they should be fine. [​IMG] Have fun with them! I am incubating my first batch of eggs right now and it's hard for me not to candle them every hour or so. [​IMG] We're on day 10.

3. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    LOL...I have Dutch Bantam eggs on day 7, and I have candled every day since day 2. I told myself last night I wasn't going to candle again until day 10, but I just can't help myself!!! [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Hi, my name is Christy and I am a candleaholic. I want to see my babies daily. Besides, I hand turn, they are going to be open anyway. Just don't play catch with them and they will be fine!!!

5. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I hand turn too, so I'm already in there...lol. These were my first time to ship hatching eggs, so I keep checking to see if they are alright.

6. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    Quote:thats my kind of hatching [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OK...I admit it. I candle everyday when I turn. I mean I turn 3 times a day and candle once in the evening! I like seeing the babies and give each egg a kiss (yes, I admit that too) when I put it back.

I think I'm weirding out over this. Do any of you pray over your eggs? I do that too!

8. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    We pray over every thing.

1 person likes this.
  9. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ohhh, you were serious...sorry.

Just kidding [​IMG] [​IMG]

I would never had admitted it unless you guys came forward first, but now I guess it's safe. I too, am a CANDLEaholic! [​IMG]

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I'm a candleholic too...
    And am praying over these eggs since they were shipped and I think every air cell is broke...

I want to know if anyone else just stares at them in the incubator like something is going to suddenly happen?

(I am only on day 4)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by