1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I count the dropping board/roost space?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Aug 22, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I have an 8x8 coop with a 3x8 dropping board with roost above. Can I count the 3x8 area in addition to the overall 8x8 when calculating 4 sq. feet/chicken in the coop? I'm trying to justify keeping 20 chickens in a 8x8 coop with a 9x18 run. The chicks are now 7 weeks old and two are roos.

2. spike844

spike844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Virginia beach, VA
    I would not count the square footage of the dropping board as walking space, because I would not allow them to walk/sit/stand/ or do anything on there except poop! [​IMG]

-Noah

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:They are up there running around and hanging out now. The dropping board is covered in vinyl and then shavings. I keep it pretty clean. It's no dirtier than the floor of the coop.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Nope poop boards don't count. That seems like a lot of chickens in there. If you have to close them up any during the winter I would imagine you are going to have problems. How cold does it get there and for how long? Snow?
    sharon

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:It gets very cold and snows. There will be times when going outside will not be an option.

6. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Then you need to just count the coop space and that could be a problem if it is for very extended times. Being cooped up with little to do makes for some testy chickens.
    sharon

7. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:Then, maybe what I should do is split the group and put 7 pullets with 1 roo in a 6x8 coop and the other 11 pullets and 1 roo stay in the 8x8 coop. I'm a little nervous about having roos. Wasn't the plan when I ordered the chicks:)

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Ha ha! I understand that! I didn't intend to have any either. I started out with started pullets to avoid it but later got some chicks....and of course some roosters! Of course by the time I realized they were roos it was too late. I was attached.

9. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:So, do you think my coop space and number of hens will work for these boys. I would really llike to keep them all together but my DH will KILL me if I suggest we make the coop larger.

10. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You can always give it a shot and make adjustments as needed. Some chickens are meaner than others. You just don't know till you try. I have three roos right now with nine hens..not the best ratio but so far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by