can i do this? :s

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Johnn, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    im buying a rat and was wondering if i could put it in a budgie cage? or would a large fish tank be better????

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    A bird cage would definitely be better than a tank. Rats are really prone to respiratory infection, and need a well ventilated cage that is still free of drafts. Closed cages like fish tanks tend to worsen mycoplasma related infections, and can cause other lung issues such as from urine build-up.

If getting just one rat, definitely get a male and not a female (females really need a cagemate, though all the males I've seen can get by without one). If buying from a pet store, I'd get a male anyway as females are very prone to mammary tumors.

Rats are awesome little pets. Have fun. [​IMG]

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I bought rats as babies from a breeder and they had been handled since they were very small, they were super sweet. I think the best cages for rats have levels as they love to climb, and the very best ones have wire walls and plastic floors to prevent bumblefoot and allow ventilation.

4. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Rats are awesome pets. Better watch your Jack Russell though......they LIVE to kill rats!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depends upon the size of the bird cage or aquarium. With rats, bigger is better. One problem with bird cages is that rats can kick out their bedding. Frequent cleaning of an aquarium will negate any possible ammonia build up. Also in a large aquarium various play levels can be created to serve as environmental enrichment and exercise. Rats make excellent pets. My daughter's original rat, Henrietta, lived to be 3 + years old - she had to be euthanized because of a mammary tumor. Good luck, enjoy your rat, and protect it from your Jack Russell.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Some budgie cages would be wayyy too small, but some might work. I'd go for a cage over a tank though.

Also, rats are very social so defintiely consider getting a second one as a friend.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  7. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    dont belive the myth that if you get oen rat it will bond to you that does not work at all getting one rat will make it more shy and nervous of being handled and more likly to bite i used to have 15 rats of my own and was on the rat and mosue club of america forum for years doing as much research as possable.
    seriously please please get two youll be so so much happier youll have 2 wonderful and frenidly pets instead of one very shy nervous nippy one. and they need alot of space unless your getting a large flight cage dont bother rats get large and need large space to move around if you want a cheap cage build one yourself useing wire mesh and zip ties.
    also check out RMCA forum/website

8. AllyRodrigues

AllyRodrigues Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    I certainly agree with getting two. We had one male for a while, but he wasn't getting much attention. We got a second male expecting them to bicker at first, but I've never seen a creature as happy as when that second rat came home! They get along wonderfully. I agree with wire cages and vertical space is better if you can do it. They LOVE to climb and are very agile!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by