Can I eat guinea eggs?

Maryallison

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
My guineas are about 4 months old. And really I am unsure if I have males or females!
lol.png
When and if I get a egg can I eat it???

Sure! they're quite tasty, and even richer than some of my chickens' eggs. They do have hard shells; you may be surprised the first time you start to crack one. I had to rap my first one three times!
big_smile.png
Enjoy!

They are pretty hard, have you ever seen a pip on one?? They just peck it and it gets these huge cracks in it!! I don't think they even zip, they just kind of bust out of it!

I have never eaten them (seems I'm allergic to any type of egg I try
sad.png
) but I have read that the eggs are very tasty! As much as mine sell for though, I don't think I could eat them!
lol.png

Yes, you can definitely eat them. They are so hard, though, that you can literally smash them onto the bottom of a pan or counter and not make a crack, or whack them on the edge of a bowl and just make a huge messy crack that gets shells all mixed up in the egg.

Here's a good way that my husband figured out to crack them: Hold the egg in your hand with the big end sticking out. Take a table knife and strike the end of the egg, as if you were going to slice off the end.

This will usually make a crack but not pierce the inner membrane. Take your fingers and remove enough shell pieces so the yolk will have room to slide out. Then tear open the membrane and dump the contents into your bowl or pan. No shells in the egg this way!

Back
Top Bottom