Can I eat it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lsv313, Nov 6, 2010.

1. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    We had a meatie that was looking like it had congestive heart failure. Comb, face, even skin turned purple. Started being very lethargic and could hardly stand, and had very heavy breathing. She did not display any other symptoms of being sick. We decided to butcher so that we still could eat it. When my husband cut into it, it practically burst with fluid - the guts almost spilled out of it. There were also large, loose chunks of fat that came out with the guts - something we had not seen before (but this is our first time with meaties and we've only processed about 15). So my questions are: was this in fact CHF, and can we eat it?

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    While mine wasn't nearly as bad as yours , I processed her and she tasted great . The clear fluid made me pause for a second , but I've ate gut-shot game after washing them out , so I [​IMG] and continued processing . I think I lived and know I never got sick . [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like CHF and ascites. I don't know of any reason you couldn't eat it, it's a heart failure type problem, not an infection or anything contagious.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would agree. wash it out and eat the muscle tissue - if you're an organ eater (liver) I would skip it on this one.

5. Dennis A

Dennis A Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Nichols Iowa
    I would pass on eating this. I am raising most of our food to get quality. Eating a sick or unhealthy bird does not fit that description.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Dennis

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I vote Eat. It's a condition not a contagion, so it should be safe to eat.

Enjoy!

7. Inharmony

Inharmony New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Sounds like ascites from my research. I just had one condemned for that at the butcher. So started researching it and came across your post. Did you eat it? Was it ok?

8. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I personally would not eat a sick animal...

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you've ever eaten grocery chicken I can almost guarantee you've eaten a bird in this condition. It's not "ill" in that it's infectious, but in that it's heart is no longer working effeciently. I've eaten birds with this and they've tasted like chicken lol.

10. Quote:I have ate a lot of my own chickens in my younger days, but would never eat a sick chicken no matter what was wrong with it. Just my personal opinion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by