Can I feed 18% starter/grower the entire time?

HickoryGuy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
Hickory, NC
I'm getting my birds from Welp(first time w/ broilers), and they suggest 20-22% starter for the first 5 weeks, then switching to 18% grower. I have easy access to cheaper(25% cheaper) unmedicated 18% starter/grower. Can I just feed this the entire time?

last year my feed store ran out of the higher protien food just as i needed a new bag - i purchased 10 lb of soybean meal to up the protien, which the feed store owner recomended. you may try that to boost protien in the feed.

Quote:
I agree.

Question: I'd probably be better off switching to a higher protein feed the last few weeks, even if it's more expensive, because longer finishing = more bags of lower protein feed? Is my thinking right on that?

ETA: One more thing, would I be able to feed a 20% all grain laying crumble or is the laying formula not ideal for broilers?

Last edited:
i usually try to give the Cornish between 20 and 23 % protein and use the Purina game bird blend, as it seems that i have fewer problems with their health and legs. also, you are right that you get the maximum growth per bag of feed. being careful with the 12 hours on and 12 hours off is probably the most important with keeping them from getting cavity fluid or heart failure- also plenty of fresh water. just have to baby them a bit the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree.

Question: I'd probably be better off switching to a higher protein feed the last few weeks, even if it's more expensive, because longer finishing = more bags of lower protein feed? Is my thinking right on that?

I look at it the other way-higher protein first, then lower at the end. They need more protein in the beginning.

I like doing a higher protein first (24% unmedicated turkey starter) and then lowering the protein down to 20% (18% would be fine, too) at about 5 or 6 weeks. That way I can grow them out to 10 or 11 weeks without any health problems.

Back
Top Bottom