Can I feed layer pellets to my 9 week old Buff Orps

Iansmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I sent DH to the feed store to get grower pellets. The guy helping him told him there is no in between pellets, only starter and layer pellets
roll.png
I guess I should of sent DH in with the bag....Good grief. He asks DH how old the chicks were and he told him 12 weeks
roll.png
close enough I guess. Anyway the guy told him that he should get the layer pellets. I know that they are supposed to be on the start/grow pellets, but would it be ok to feed them this bag of Layer pellets or should I just save them until they are about 18 weeks old?

Thanks

I would save them. They are still to young, in my opinion, to start on layer pellets. They won't be laying for at least another two months and still need the starter at this age.

Please correct me here if I'm wrong anyone!
smile.png

Around 8-10 weeks I mix starter with pellets to get them use to it and after about 2 weeks of doing that I wean them for the starter to straight pellets.

Layer pellets should only be feed from 18 weeks onward when the hens about to lay their eggs. If anytime earlier this could result in internal organ damage due to the high calcium. If I was in this situation, I would feed starter pellets until the point of laying then switch to laying pellets.
wink.png

What if you have young chicks 10 weeks mixed in with old hens that are laying. What should you do? I am not setup to keep them separated.

Funny... because I'm in the same situation.

In this case, I suggest you feed everyone "Growers Pellet", which is what I'm doing atm. Only problem is you have thin egg shells overtime and this could be dangerous if the eggs break inside the Hen.

I have posted something 1-2 weeks ago and some suggestion was to have the "layers feeder" or "shell grit" higher so that only the bigger birds can reach it. Hope that helps

I never feed mine layer feed until they are at least five months or laying. They need the nutrients in the grower to finish proper bone growth. Some chickens take longer than others to mature also so In MHO if would go and get them the proper food for their age.

Keep them on the starter until they are 4-5 months, then gradually work them onto layer over a 7-10 days.

There is no compelling reason to move them to an intermediate feed, if it is more burden than ease for you to do so.

I only use two sorts of feed: Starter and Layer.

I read on my Layena bag to start feeding the Layer Pellets/Crumbles 4 weeks prior to laying. I bought a bag of starter and layer and mixed the two together.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom