Can I feed my chicken fermented mozzarella cheese?

Bobinasmom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 24, 2010
Hi all,

In cleaning my refrigerator (yes, I should have done that over a month ago, I know!), I discovered a package of what used be be fresh mozzarella cheese in the back. It appears to be fermenting since the sealed plastic wrapping has filled with air. There is no mold visible so I was wondering if it's okay to feed to my chickens?

the air that has filled the bag is the gas from the Streptococcus thermophilus bacteria in the cheese. The problem with feeding it to your chickens at this point is the gas it will produce in their bellies as well and i don't think chickens can burp. Also the salt content (since it's prob in brine) will be really high.

I'd still eat it myself, as long as it wasn't TOO sour tasting. Of course, when it's moldy, I just scrape off the mold and eat the cheese anyway. I think the chickens would be fine with it too.

Quote:
As I've said many times here "if you can eat it they can eat it". Conversely, I also feel, that if I wouldn't eat it I don't feed it. I don't feed anything that's spoiled not just dairy.

Quote:
I used to work in a cheese shop. I was instructed that the soft and semi-soft cheeses should be disposed of and NOT eaten when moldy. Even if just one side of the package was moldy.

However, I spent a great deal of time in that job scraping mold off hard cheese and rewrapping it to be put back in the sale case (they said that on hard cheese the mold can be safely removed).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom