Can I feed my ducklings meatloaf, lasagna, etc?

after reading everyones post i feel like i am neglecting my ducks. they get flock raiser and water. the one that is 5 weeks old has been in an outside pen for a couple weeks now so it eats bugs and grass and stuff off the ground but that is it. am i a bad duck owner should i be feeding them all the people food?

Your far from a bad owner. Your willing to learn and actually asking questions which shows you truly care about your babies.

Your far from a bad owner. Your willing to learn and actually asking questions which shows you truly care about your babies.
well when i started getting the ducks i wanted to order some from metzer's and they had a link to here so i started looking at different things and figured i would sign up and learn from everyone. i am sure this is one of the better places to get my questions answered when they come up.

i had an issue with my 5 week old duck and i looked at the duck threads and someone else had the same issue so i just read up and seen what was going on with it. this is a really good informative website.

I have 2 ducklings, about 4 weeks old. They are really bored with the chick feed I bought for them at TS, and I mean bored....it's as if I've insulted them by offering it. They look at..then look at me, as if saying "This stuff again ? Really?" But they do love bugs, and I take them on "bug walks" at least twice a day. They eat sow bugs, snails, slugs and earthworms that appear when I turn over rocks and fallen , rotted logs. They also eat cooked cereal and cooked rice, peaches, pinapple and ice cream...A friend of mine said her ducks ate everything and anything...So, is it OK to give them food with ground beef in it? I'll take their pix and upload it..They are Blue Swedes....and really nice ducks. They have a friendly personality- but don't seem as smart as the Black Ducks we had a few years ago, which ate the chick feed w/o complaint.
They are not bored, simply not hungry
wink.png

You are projecting human emotions/feelings onto your ducklings (hard not to; I know!)
Waterfowl growers food is sufficient for their needs; supplementing their diet with "bug walks" is great too. That is what they need; the whole "treats" thing (IMHO) is a human desire, not a duck requirement.

I agree with Mum, but you are NOT a bad duck owner!!!! Don't ever feel that way.
You are caring,loving,and treating your ducks to the best of your ability---as does everyone!!!
Everyone feels like a bad duck owner every now and then, but honestly that's just a part of human nature.
We tend to over-worry about them and think that they need more than they actually do.
(That is the biggest problem with being a duck owner trust me, LOL.)

You're doing fine
smile.png

I agree with Mum, but you are NOT a bad duck owner!!!! Don't ever feel that way.
You are caring,loving,and treating your ducks to the best of your ability---as does everyone!!!
Everyone feels like a bad duck owner every now and then, but honestly that's just a part of human nature.
We tend to over-worry about them and think that they need more than they actually do.
(That is the biggest problem with being a duck owner trust me, LOL.)

You're doing fine
smile.png
X3!

I know I dont do everything by the book but my flock seems happy and healthy. I toss scraps from dinner and all ducks and chicken come running. They also free range all day. Some of the ducks fave foods are thawed frozen peas,corn, spagetti w/ garlic bread, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, raw and cooked rice. They'll eat all kinda of veggies too as long as their cut up. Oh and they LOVE tree frogs lol.

I know I dont do everything by the book but my flock seems happy and healthy. I toss scraps from dinner and all ducks and chicken come running. They also free range all day. Some of the ducks fave foods are thawed frozen peas,corn, spagetti w/ garlic bread, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, raw and cooked rice. They'll eat all kinda of veggies too as long as their cut up. Oh and they LOVE tree frogs lol.
I would like to know where you buy the tree frogs?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom