1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed slugs to my chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wolfpacker, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Will the slime bother them? I have several in the unit where I store all their food. They hide under the plastic containers. I've thought about giving them to the chickens, but didn't know about all the slime. It would be a good way to get rid of them. They're a nasty mess and leave little droppings all over.

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I feed slugs to my hens every time I find one. They love them. The slime doesn't seem to bother them.

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Just gave them one and what a show![​IMG]

I guess they're like ribs or Buffalo wings - messy, but good! They ran around and around and around, until one finally ate it. Then she wiped her beak on the ground and on the perches and finally had a nice long drink.

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Ok,,,I am looking for slugs tomorrow....lol

5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I am so glad I found this site. It's just amazing. I don't have my chicks yet and I'm finding all this useful info.
    I have such a slug problem here at my home, it is so gross. I hope these guys have a hay day when they arrive! I am tired of dodging slugs at night or after it rains!

Thanks for the info!

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:They'll eat those slugs right up! Mine also love snails! [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Interesting. My chickens don't touch the slugs... They eat the tiny tiny ones but don't even bother the larger ones... then again... the adult slugs in the great northwest are some of the biggest around... about 4-5 inches long when moving and the size of a large dog turd when scrunched up. My mom actually thought a pair of mating slugs was a pile of poo once... The suckers can be larger than the hen's heads when balled up... YUCK!

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Arnt banana slugs poisenous.
    Do slugs carry the gape worm or am I mixing up my parasites?

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Our hens don't bother with the slugs, but the ducks slap a saddle on them and ride them to the pen where the feast begins.

the size of a large dog turd when scrunched up

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We got ducks at first to control slugs. They slurp the slugs up and love every minute. I try not to watch.
    Slugs around here stop traffic when they cross the highway. You don't want to hit one and mess your car all up.[​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:It's because you live within the borders of the great NW turd slug territory! I remember when I was little and waiting for the school bus I would toss slugs on the highway and my brother and I would bet on which slug would get hit first and would leave the longest streak!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by