Can I feed them fruit? Specifically strawberries watermelon & apples?

Well basically my idea was to take them out in the backyard in a fenced-in area in the grass and stay out there with them for about an hour and give them some treats like watermelon and strawberries while they're there, then take them back inside to the brooder again afterward. It's warm and sunny today so it should be alright temperature wise. Regarding grits in this situation though, would I need to sprinkle them on the fruit for the hour or so that I'm outside with them or sprinkle the grits in their medicated crumble feed in their brooder afterward?

Regular old sand would do for fine grit. I usually fill a little dish with grit and let them eat it free choice. Most of the time they leave it and go for the sand in the horse shoe pits.....

Last edited:
Yess! they love leftover fruit. The only vegetable/fruit that u can;t give chickens (that I know of) is avocado and potato peelings.
and for the grit. . ...we just put a pile of grit on the ground for them. But you can mix it with their feed if u want or even put it in a dish and set it in the coop/pen.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
My chickens would be extemely envious...watermelon is their favorite. On a really hot day I throw it in the freezer to help them cool off....watermelon popsicles yummy!
Do your chicks have access to dirt when they are in your backyard? If so they will likely get enough grit poking through the dirt. I also scatter a handful of playground sand (chemical free) on the floor of the brooder if the chicks are starting treats when the weather is yucky and they can`t get outside. Keeps them busy scratching and pecking for it too.

Don't use your blender to try to reduce grit size. You'll ruin your blender. Grit = rocks = damaged blender blades.

Instead, put some in an old sock or nylon stocking or something of that nature and hammer away at it. That should reduce it down pretty quickly.

I think I'm going to pick up the Manna Pro grit tomorrow and then crush it with a method like what Rozzie suggested. Does anyone know if the "For poultry 8 weeks and older" warning is just because of the size of the grit or for some other reason?

Oh and how long should I use the grit for? Do I only give it to them when they have treats or do I just leave it in there with them all the time?
Thanks
smile.png

Chicks that young don't need fruit. You can give them plenty of fresh fruit when they get older and they will love you for it. Just give them the starter (high in protein) they need and they'll grow to happy teens.

Personally I would wait till they get a little older to start feeding them too many treats. IMO, 5 day old is too young & they are better off just eating the starter feed to make sure they get the correct nutrients to grow & not fill up on treats.

Back
Top Bottom