1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed them their eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alecia86, Feb 16, 2013.

1. alecia86

alecia86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    My two chickens have been on antibiotics and worming tablets. The vet warned me not to eat the eggs. But I'm wondering if I can cook the eggs up and feed them back to the chickens, or will this just re-contaminate them and cause a longer withdrawal period?

(I know some people say they are safe to eat anyway, but I'm allergic to both penicillin and sulphur so not willing to take that chance.. Otherwise I definitely would)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you can't eat the eggs because they're contaminated and you feed them to the birds - what does that tell you?

ETA
    Sorry

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Sigh. I don't understand why some people feel the need to be so rude when people ask a question.

4. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    That's an interesting question, actually. Since they are on the medicine already, you'd think that feeding them their eggs with medicine residue in them would not be harmful. But...I'm not a pharmacist or a vet. It does seem a waste to throw them away though.

Will be following this thread. :) [​IMG]

Angela

5. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks Angela. They have finished their antibiotics and worming and are past the withdrawal period. The vet told me to give the eggs to someone with a dog but I can't find anyone who wants them? I know how much work they put into making them so it seems a waste to throw them.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Once they are past the 14 days after worming medication ends it is safe to eat the eggs... do not feed them back to the chickens during the withdrawal period as it contaminates them again... it is OK to feed the eggs to dogs that do not have an allergic reaction to the worming medication - I have been throwing eggs away and it seems so wasteful but necessary....

Suzie

7. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Bugger. Thanks suzie. I will make one more attempt to find a dog, then dispose of them. Thanks :)

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2.
    Another reason not to feed the eggs back to the chickens besides extending the withdrawal period is that the residue in the eggs will help build resistance to the antibiotic or wormer the next time the product is used. Resistance could render the antibiotic or wormer useless in time.

9. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Ahh very good point! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by