Can I free range 3.5 month olds?

Quote:
I do not, they roam unfenced. However, I only free range them when I am home, as I feel that the human presence of me going in and out of the house makes it a little less likely that predators are snooping about.

There is risk in unfenced free ranging, however, the only predator attack I have ever had that took a hen was when they were locked up in the run. A mink slipped into the run.

They are implanted with little homing devices
wink.png

Ok, in all reality, if they have been in the coop long enough they sense where home is and find their way back. Thats not saying one may lose it's way, but they tend to have a buddy system and work it out just fine.
You may just want to start free ranging at the end of the day. The reduction of day light tells them it's time to go back.

i started letting my 8 wks range w/the others. Only problem is the RIR's like to pick on them so for now, I still put the chick up for the night.

Mine have an 8x12' fenced (and roofed) yard to play I when we're not at home, and the whole world to play in when we are at home. It's Chicken Disney Land!! Compost heaps full of yummy bugs. An arena full of sand. A yard full of flower gardens. Heaps of leaf mold ('cause I'm not big on raking much of anything). And they always, ALWAYS come in at night. Though as the days warm, and the evenings lengthen, I notice that they like to stay up a little later, hanging out in their yard before heading to bed in the coop.

Too funny.

Susan

I want to let our girls out of their run. Each day DH takes a shovel ful of grass and weeds out of our yard and puts it in the run for the girls...needless to say they demolish it in a short time.

We live on about 1/4 acre and it is completely fenced in all around the entire house. (and the coop) DH wants to build another fence inside the fence for the girls to go into (aside from the temp run they have now). Do you think we even need to do that? I am the "mother hen" to beat all mother hens....if they are outside I will only leave for short times...so if I was going to let them run freely in our yard...I would be there with them. I am scared to do it...but I think they would love it so much! our front yard is nice and mowed...but our back yard where the coop is is a wild yard...lol there is an ATV track in the back yard that the kids ride on so we dont bother mowing that area.....I guess what I am wanting is someone to tell me to go ahead and let them out in the yard LOL! They are about 2 months old...been in their coop for a while and out in there run during the day for about 2 weeks...ya think it would be ok? and will they go in at night or will we have to play "chicken round up" as I call it when I put them inside so I can go to the store?

Here are a few pics of the yard they would be in....please excuse the kids fort...we where playing in it today since we got a nice day

View from back door and next to coop (back yard)
100_0010-10.jpg

view of very back of yard facing house
100_0011-11.jpg

chickens run now
100_0009-8.jpg

part of ATV track
100_0012-9.jpg

edited to add: "can you say "white trash".....ok...thats a compliment(sp) to me
~Tiff~

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some chicks that my sis hatched out, about 4-6 wks old and a hen who had a small, but feathered, biddy. Her free rangers were picking on the small biddy w/hen, so she penned her up with the youngsters...then the hen was picking on them!
Sooooo.....I took them and put them ALL out to free range with my older flock. They were all so busy running around eating that the pecking order only happens when the teen gang go in the hen house to eat or sleep. You can hear a big kerfuffle for a few minutes, then it settles down. No blood, no injuries...just the natural pecking order. Everyone is happy and healthy! Will be getting chicks in July and plan to incorporate them into the flock and free range as soon as they are fully fledged. I don't need any sissy birds around here!
lol.png

My pullets are 8 weeks old and free ranging part of each day, but they don't like to go far from the coop. They go maybe 30' away at most. The larger yard is fenced (~1 acre), they haven't gotten near the fence yet.

A handful of fresh dug worms or a little bowl of oatmeal gets them into the coop everytime if they are out. They follow me right in. Alternately, if they are out for 4 hour or so, they all go back in for a nap sometime of their own choosing & its easy to shut them in.

Cheers,
Michelle

I know this is an old thread but I'm SO thankful to have found it! Mine are 8 weeks old and I was thinking of letting them out soon but wasn't sure how or when to go about it. I have no fences and live on several acres of woods. TICK INFESTED woods- that is the one and only thing I ask of them is that they eat ticks so fencing them in would defeat their whole purpose. Well I also love their company and will enjoy their eggs when they start laying but as for responsibilities all I ask is that they eat the ticks.

Someone said to start letting them out towards the end of the day which makes sense so they naturally want to come in for protection. And use treats to encourage them to come back in- another good suggestion. Any other things to keep in mind for a first time chicken keeper letting them out for the first time?

Thanks guys!
Frances

I would say you are able to free range your chickens as soon as the weather is warm enough, depending on their size and their age, but having older chickens around should be an aid in keeping the younger ones safe, especially at night,
you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom