Can I free range 3.5 month olds?

Quote:
I would not feed layer pellets to any that are not at least 15 weeks old. That is just too much calcium for them. You could use, "Flock Raiser," for all of them, and then just add some oyster shells in another bowl, for the layers to have access to.

Good luck with your flock, and welcome to BYC!!

Thanks for the quick response. I'll pick up some flock raiser today
smile.png
My understanding is that I shouldn't give my older hens the chick start because it is medicated and we eat the hens' eggs. Is this correct??

Quote:
Most people don't have a problem eating eggs from chickens that are eating medicated starter. I won't because I have many drug allergies.

thumbsup.gif
As long as your older flock members are right there with them, they should be fine.

I have some 4-week old biddies, momma hen has been keeping them along on the free range every day. Gosh, I love mommy hens!
bow.gif

Question... I bought two chicks a year ago...before winter one was killed, so we only have our sweet Chirp
smile.png

I want to let her out of the tractor to stretch her legs a little more, but have some reservations because I don't want her to fly out of the back yard....she REALLY is a BACKYARD chicken
tongue.png
It is not legal to have them here, and I don't need her flying and wandering
smile.png

Will she fly outta the backyard fence? Should I clip her wings? I just so want her to have the opportunity to scratch scratch all over
smile.png

Between the raccoon population(although I've trapped 13 this past year) and the neighbors letting their dogs free roam , even with fencing, I feel I'm taking a huge risk letting them free range out of their 10' fenced yard ( about 20 x 40) unless I'm home - then they get to go out in the larger pen area ( four foot fencing) of another 40 x40 area - this they can fly right over into the unsecured areas - guess I'm just a nervous mom...

We have a lot of Hawks in northern AZ, have not ordered my chicks yet, but these posts here are all very helpful.

*If* I do not have a livestock-protection dog, and no rooster, for example (jury still not in on whether to order rooster or not)
will the hawks attach small chickens during the day.

Obviously I plan to lock them in a coop at night. We are getting some free wood this week to build that.

We have 2 Acres perimeter fenced with 1" x 4" wire and 2 horses.

We have had dogs during the past and have 2 cats indoors so my hubby is not keen on getting a dog ... especially one to be left alone outside during the day when we aren't home .... as I am already worried about the chickens bothering the neighbors, especially a rooster ....

So four weeks you say they can be outside during the day ... Did I get that right?

Quote:
Most definitely the hawks will attack your small chickens. You may get away with it for awhile but eventually they will find your small and inexperienced birds and have a buffet.

Four weeks is a good age to free range if you are adding them to an older flock...the older birds will very quickly show them to duck and cover when the roo calls a warning. Four weeks out in the big, bad world without any protection at all is like ringing a dinner bell and yelling "COME AND GET IT!"

I wouldn't chance it if they were mine.

thank you ... so if I am out with them, how old might the chicks be when they can be out free without wire protection ? What do folks do if they decide not to get a rooster with the hens and want to free range ?

Most people supervise free range...but I've read posts on here about hawks grabbing chickens right at their owner's feet. I use a good dog at all times and have rarely had predator losses....but with free ranging, at the end of the day~ no matter what defense you may use be it dog, wire, rooster, cover/hides~one has to accept there may be losses. It's an accepted risk of free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom