can I get a clear answer? how long to toss eggs after using Duramycin?

bethandjoeync

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Iron Station, NC
I have searched and read so many threads (old and new) about tossing the eggs after using the stuff.

On the package it says you can process the bird after 3 or 4 days of ending treatment. why would you have to toss eggs for longer than that?? some say 14 days, some say 21.

I needed to use this stuff because I lost a banty girl with a huge swollen eye and felt it was best to go ahead and medicate the entire flock. no other birds have had this problem. but with the wet weather we were having, they all kind of had some sneezing and coughing. but after treatment, all seems fine and they don't seem to be coughing as before.

with that said. 2/3rds of my flock is reaching laying age, which means I am going to start getting LOTS of eggs each day. and to toss that many will be heart breaking.

do I really have to wait 2 to 3 weeks?

I'd like to know as well. I am getting the same conflicting stories.

pop.gif

i went with 14 . just make sure you give them the recommended dose for the entire time you need to medicate them otherwise whatever bug is causeing the problem can develop an immunity to the antibiotic

Last edited:
Quote:
If I am understanding the post by bethandjoeync, cooking the eggs up and feeding them to the cats or dogs or pigs is still considered tossing. If the eggs cannot be used for human consumption then that is considered "tossing the eggs". Please correct me if I am wrong bethandjoeync. For someone like myself who sells eggs, I understand what bethandjoeync means. It is heartbreaking to toss eggs that cannot be used for human consumption.

Quote:
If I am understanding the post by bethandjoeync, cooking the eggs up and feeding them to the cats or dogs or pigs is still considered tossing. If the eggs cannot be used for human consumption then that is considered "tossing the eggs". Please correct me if I am wrong bethandjoeync. For someone like myself who sells eggs, I understand what bethandjoeync means. It is heartbreaking to toss eggs that cannot be used for human consumption.

no I haven't been feeding them to my 4 legged friends!! but heck I should have!! DANG-IT!! I have actually been tossing them into the freaking woods!! wow, this could have cut down on my dog and cat food costs!! I read that it wasn't ok to feed the eggs back to the chickens, so I assumed that it wasn't ok to feed them to the furry animals.

bad this is we got our first bantam eggs this week, and I was sooooo wanting them. but oh well. they will lay more. I have gone from getting 10 or 11 a day to I think 15 or 16 now. and that number will probably double in the next week or two.

Quote:

no I haven't been feeding them to my 4 legged friends!! but heck I should have!! DANG-IT!! I have actually been tossing them into the freaking woods!! wow, this could have cut down on my dog and cat food costs!! I read that it wasn't ok to feed the eggs back to the chickens, so I assumed that it wasn't ok to feed them to the furry animals.

bad this is we got our first bantam eggs this week, and I was sooooo wanting them. but oh well. they will lay more. I have gone from getting 10 or 11 a day to I think 15 or 16 now. and that number will probably double in the next week or two.

I also read NOT to feed them back to your animals. I read that is a NO NO. Consumption is consumption regardless if it's humans or animals. The animals are still eating the eggs that have the medicated wormer in it, so when does the medicated wormer leave the animal's system if they are still consuming the medicated eggs? Any opinions, facts, etc?

Quote:
Well, with that said, it may be ok to feed the eggs to dogs but if you continue to feed the medicated eggs to the chickens and the chickens eat the medicated eggs and lay eggs with the medication still in their bodies and the medicated wormer is transmitted to the eggs that they lay and the person continues to eat the medicated eggs that the chicken lays, will this affect the person who is eating the medicated eggs? So then when does the medicated egg cycle stop? WHEW!!! That was a mouthful.
gig.gif

with the wormer we did cook them and fed them to the dogs and the chickens for a while. but stopped the last few days before the waiting period was over. I didn't read anything about not doing that with the wormer. but I have read to not to that with the antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom