Can I get attached....

HuginnsMuse

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
Lil ol' Rhode Island
Ok about a month ago I got my chicks from Meyers. They had been dropped in their box along the way and my meats were mixed in with my egg layers! So ya, trying to pick out 15 egg layers mixed with 50 meat birds was hard (They were mixed heavy breed meats and mixed egg layers) To boot this is my first time with chickens!!! Sure my grandfolks kept RiR's for eggs
SO I promised I wouldn't get attached... but I kinda did to three, so looking for help so I can instantly go HAHA Not gonna be a nugget! So, little hen or Roo on my three favorites. *Fingers crossed*
Also, Mille Fleur Belgian, Buff Lace Polish, and Gold Lace Wyandotte if I'm correct? Mind you if Mille it's nearly 1.5 times the size of the Wyandotte so to me that kinda doesnt make sense!

When I was a teenager my sister had brought home a black chick from a school prodject and as she grew to be huge we found out from a neighbor she was a meat chicken. Dad had planned from the start that she was going to be supper one day. But, as you can imagine, we got attached. Named her Jade because of the green shine on her feathers. She was the only chicken we kept inside on her own perch my father made hanging from the ceiling. She even got attacked by a fox one evening and she went straight to the vet for stitches! I know you got them for certain reasons but sometimes God sends you little ones for a different purpose! If you love them, you love them! Jade lived for 12 years and she was a doll! Would sit in my lap and fall over into a deep sleep! Weird huh? I say, regardless of what you find out, you can't undo the attachment! Good luck!

Last edited:
There are still right in that age it’s hard to be sure. You may have another week or more to go to be more certain, but I’ll give a guess.

The first one looks like it could be a pullet. A close-up of the head showing wattles more than comb could help. I can’t see them that well. The legs don’t look real heavy and the general conformation looks a bit feminine. It’s often easier to say “this is a boy” rather than say “this is a girl” early on. Some cockerels are slower to develop than others so they can look more feminine for a while. Often if you think it’s a boy it usually is, but if you think it’s a girl you can be surprised. The highlights on the wings give me some concern. Males are generally more colorful than females and often develop differently on the wings. The jury is still out on this one.

The other two look male to me. I’m going mainly by leg size. Males normally have longer and heavier legs than females. The comb and wattles look really suspicious on the red one on the right.

Males often become your favorites. Their instinct is to be the flock leader. They are normally bolder and have more of a personality than females. Just them being your favorites, if that is based on personality, is a bad sign.

Help any bit? No real comb color or waddles at all yet. Thus kinda have my fingers crossed. Some one mentioned maybe my middle bing a Brahma which makes sense as I ordered all large breeds. I grew attached to these three because they made the first non chip noises, they 'scold' my dogs in their chirpy fashion, and don't freak out and nip at my fingers if I go to lift them out of the brooder.
Either way I know Lady/Lord Gaga will be a yard mascot... the other two hopefully hens so they stay off of the BBQ.

No combs or wattles on any, I was seeing that red one wrong. It’s still too early to tell and the legs in the first photos concern me some, but I feel better about them at least having a chance to being pullets. One early clue to them being male is red comb and wattles compared to pale combs and wattles for pullets. Sometimes at five weeks you can absolutely say “That is a male” but for a lot of them it’s just is series of clues that makes them more likely to be one or the other.

You might ask again in a couple of weeks. A good head shot showing comb and wattles will help, but also a profile shot showing legs and posture.

With the feathered legs, Brahma would make sense for that one.

So fun update.... Hen or Roo my little popcorn Polish is here to stay. Kinda spoiled little fluff that every time I'm feeding or cleaning the coop needs to sit here and supervise.
Still unsure if my little Brahma is a hen or Roo, now hitting 8 weeks, rather adorable and enjoys just following me around. He/she lets me pet and will hang out if there is food involved....
<3s

Back
Top Bottom