Can I get my chickens to hang around in a better place?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by collingwood, Feb 28, 2015.

1. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are all hanging around were I am because sometimes I give them mealworms but I would like them to be in a better spot where they can scratch around and eat more things! Any ideas?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    This might take some time but you could try always giving them their treats in the same area(where you rather them be). Maybe over time they will associate the area with treats instead of you.

3. collingwood

Thanks! But I do feed them in the same spot (where I want them) but they hang around the front door because that's the door I leave the house from to get food!

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The only answer is to block off the area where you don't want them to be, or block them into where you do want them to be.

LofMc

5. collingwood

Thanks! But I don't think it's worth the bother...

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Quit being a loving caring, protector! Go around grumbling all the time. Maybe they won't like you any more! You know you look like a big chicken,and a food delivery guy! [​IMG][​IMG]
    Anyway, you ever see those little clicker things they sell in pet stores for I think, cat training? (at least that's what I bought it for) I read somewhere years ago that they were originally designed for chicken training. I don't know if they like or dislike the sound.... I have that thing ...somewhere. If I ever find it, I may experiment. My chickens go everywhere I don't want but I like their company more than I hate their poop! [​IMG]

7. collingwood

Thanks...!

8. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    If I happen to be heading to an area that I would like the chickens to explore, I always pick up the highest ranking chickens that I can get my hands on and carry them with me. Most of the time the other girls will follow. I kick around some leaves or dirt or whatever so that they see some bugs. Sometimes they'll take the hint, sometimes not. However, I do find that once they realize the place I've taken them to is a reliable source of bugs that they'll return there on their own on occasion.

However, that doesn't stop them from hanging out at the bottom of the stairs most days (This is where I enter their lives with pockets full of treats.)

9. collingwood

Mine just won't listen! I'm going to buy some straw and hopefully they'll get the idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by