1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I get some help with Chicken Anatomy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferC, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Maybe I'm a spazz here- but so the vent is where eggs and poop come out, right? (It's not so weird to be confused, because based on human anatomy, I would not have expected this.)

So the vent is the large pink lips-type opening that is easily seen if you flip the chick upside down.

Well, then what is the area farther down from the vent? My chicks seem to get plugs of stuff around- what? their urethras? Is that just dirt? Or am I confused about what comes from where?

Alright, I'm really blushing on behalf of my chickies now,

2. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    The only thing that would be further down would be the "belly button". I'm not sure if it is called an umbilical cord in birds or not? Anyway, it is where the yolk was connected to the chickie in the egg. It usually dries up shortly after hatching.
    Sometimes there is a stub left for a few days, but it has no function after hatching. The only "Privates" opening is the Cloaca aka "Vent". Used for elimination, eggs, and reproduction.

3. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    thanks! I was wondering about the umbilical cord stump and what it was.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Try not to make it a practice to flip em upside down. Chickens weren't built for it, like parrots, say-- and they can aspirate crop contents too easily. [​IMG]

5. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    d.k :

*Try not to make it a practice to flip em upside down. Chickens weren't built for it, like parrots, say-- and they can aspirate crop contents too easily. [​IMG]

Good advice, thanks.​

6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Jennifer, it sounds like your chicks have pasty butt. They poop and some of it sticks on the fuzz under their vent then builds up. You need to take some warm water and try to gently wash it off. Gently cutting it off will also work.

If you don't get it off, it can build up to the point that it clogs their vent, they can't poop, then they die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by