Can I get some ideas?

coolcanoechic

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Raymond, New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
How can I catch this guy? He won't take the bait. I need ideas on what to put in the trap. Last night I put a chicken leg in there, but it didn't work. I am also trying to catch a fox, so that is why I used the chicken leg. I need to use a bait that will attract both predators. Here are a couple of pictures. The second one is hard to see, but if you click on it, it will enlarge it.
Maybe there is a different approach?

You could try getting the human smell off the cage -- wipe it down or rub a piece of meat on, then handle it with leather gloves. I believe coons are more attracted by sweets such as marshmallows. When I trapped a couple of fox, I had camouflaged the trap fairly well with leafy branches. I'd probably use the same chicken leg as well, as it will be smellier now.

Ha ha, that sounds yucky
sickbyc.gif
....rubbing a stinky chicken leg on the cage. I'll try that tonight and also add some branches around it. I tried marshmellows for a week and a half and nothing.....
But since I have both a fox and a coon, I guess I should just keep trying a bait that will work for both of them. Will canned cat food work for a fox? or just a coon? I was thinking of trying that too.

I caught a bunch of coons using sardines. I just cracked opened the can, and wrapped it in some extra hardware cloth I had laying around, and wired that to the back of the trap. I was trying to catch a fox, but ended up kicking a dent into the local coon population.
Jack

I caught a bunch of coons using sardines. I just cracked opened the can, and wrapped it in some extra hardware cloth I had laying around, and wired that to the back of the trap. I was trying to catch a fox, but ended up kicking a dent into the local coon population.
Jack
Hmmmm. Actually, I love sardines!
big_smile.png
What if I just put the empty can in there!

Hmmmm. Actually, I love sardines!
big_smile.png
What if I just put the empty can in there!

Too funny! That's what I do as well! Open the sardine can and do one-for-you-and-one-for-me into a Duke DP (dog proof). I don't like the cage-type traps; I use DP's and conibears. The DP's are excellent producers and have the coleteral benefit of not catching anything but coons, skunks, and the occasional very unlucky red squirrel who sticks his head into the tube. Good luck, fellow "Live Free or Die" resident.

We have had a lot of luck for raccoons using a combination. Fish guts from hubby's last fishing trip that was left to rot for a day or two and marshmallows. Yup, both together. Worked like a charm.
Rotten fish guts also work the best in the fly trap!
Good luck. I despise seeing those beady eyes!

Last night, I rubbed the yucky raw rotting chicken leg all over the trap and covered it with some branches. I did not get anything, but the game cam revealed a busy night with two visits from two coons and two visits from a fox. What are DP's and conibears? I may try it since I can't seem to get these guys to go into the cage trap.

Back
Top Bottom