1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Can I give Sour Cream?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ginbart, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I know chickens eat a lot of things but I have some Sour Cream that exp. on 12/28. Would this be ok to them them. I never gave that to them before and I wanted to make sure.

Thanks Ginger

2. katrinag

katrinag Songster

I give it to mine mixed in there oatmeal. Never had a problem.

3. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Do you cook your oatmeal or give it dry with the SC? I give dry Oatmeal but I was thinking of cooking it because of it being so cold. But then the Sour Cream would be warm.

4. big greg barker

big greg barker Songster

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    We get sour cream from the supermarket from the "close to expiration " bin for about 50 cents a pound. The chickens go absolutely nuts over it. My S.O. goes to the coop with a bowl for each pen, and is met with great fanfare, chicken style. It's a great source of calcium, too.

5. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks everyone.

I haven't been letting them outside because it's so cold out. I did put a head of cabbage on a rope but it froze. Someone gave me 9 heads of cauliflower that I froze but I had to give the chickens some of that.

Anyway, I guess they will have a another treat tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: