Can I give the chickens wet dog food?

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
OK- I did a search, and came up with very, very little. Lots of dry dog food answers, no wet dog food.

I have a couple of cases of wet dog food. Mostly lamb or salmon based. I don't feed wet dog food to the dogs because the pushy dog has bad teeth and the wet food always gives them the stinky toots or the runs.

I get the wet food for free (clipping coupons) and usually donate it...but times are tough and I want to know if this would be a good treat for the chickens.

So, can I use the wet dog food as a treat for the chickens? It will not replace their greens or regular feed. They aren't laying yet, so egg taste is not an issue.

Wet food does not cause tooth problems. Myth. Wet food diets are actually preferable to dry food diets for dogs and cats. Tooth problems come from lack of cleaning and use. If they don't chew enough things (harder than kibble) or you don't brush them. In those cases they need to go to the vet for regular cleanings. Kibble doesn't do anymore to clean teeth than cereal does on yours and wet food does not harm teeth. The correlation between pets on wet food and teeth problems is because generally people put older animals that are already having problems chewing things on wet food or animals that dislike chewing things in the first place and don't clean their teeth.

As for feeding it to chickens that should not be a problem but I wouldn't over do it. It's not nutritionally balanced for chickens and if you are getting it free it's probably cheap dog food made up mostly of grains.

if its a brnad name dog food why not try and trade it for another food that you will use for the dogs? the local shelter may do this for you...

as for feeding it to the chickens... as a treat only not their diet until its lasts. moise pet food had a lot of sodium in it not good for the chickens...

place an ad on freecycle and see if someone wants to trade dog food

So your dogs don't have open access to your chickens do they? I am just picturing a flock full of chickens smelling like dog food around the mouth, in the eyes of a hungry dog.

Good point. The dogs definately want to eat the chickens...why make it worse?

The wet food is high-end stuff...I buy the brand in dry and they often do the "buy 50# bag, get three free cans!" deals. Sometimes the paper will have the $3 off any product coupon, when cans are $2 apeice.

Wet dog food CAN cause teeth problems, because the dogs are not rip-tearing meat or chewing on bone. ESPECIALLY if you have lazy dogs who will get it shoved up between their lips/gums and hold onto it like chaw.

Now, dog #1 will lay down and leg dog #2 lick her teeth for HOURS--which is gross. Dog # 3 seems disgusted, and leaves the room. BUUUUUUT that is not why I don't feed them the wet stuff, If you re-read the original post, my main concern is the stinky toots and runs. ANYTIME the dogs get something out of their normal diet, my bed and the carpet are forfiet.

Like my children, when the dogs' tummies hurts, and they want to be held. Who do they come to for comfort? ME. Who endures it like a champ? ME.

SO--they don't get the wet stuff. I suppose I will donate it again this year...I just hoped a can a week wouldn't hurt the 26 chickies.

Good point. The dogs definately want to eat the chickens...why make it worse?

The wet food is high-end stuff...I buy the brand in dry and they often do the "buy 50# bag, get three free cans!" deals. Sometimes the paper will have the $3 off any product coupon, when cans are $2 apeice.

Wet dog food CAN cause teeth problems, because the dogs are not rip-tearing meat or chewing on bone. ESPECIALLY if you have lazy dogs who will get it shoved up between their lips/gums and hold onto it like chaw.

Now, dog #1 will lay down and leg dog #2 lick her teeth for HOURS--which is gross. Dog # 3 seems disgusted, and leaves the room. BUUUUUUT that is not why I don't feed them the wet stuff, If you re-read the original post, my main concern is the stinky toots and runs. ANYTIME the dogs get something out of their normal diet, my bed and the carpet are forfiet.

Like my children, when the dogs' tummies hurts, and they want to be held. Who do they come to for comfort? ME. Who endures it like a champ? ME.

SO--they don't get the wet stuff. I suppose I will donate it again this year...I just hoped a can a week wouldn't hurt the 26 chickies.
I have dogs and free roaming chickens and have never had my dogs even chase a chicken…..sounds like someone doesn’t know how to train their animals. My dogs cats and chickens including rooster all get along. Like each other actually.

I suppose I will donate it again this year...I just hoped a can a week wouldn't hurt the 26 chickies.
I have 3-4 cans of dog food, and I was wondering this very thing. If I were to give it to the chickens, I would mix a can with a cup of their dry feed, stir it around, and call it a treat. Once a week would be the most I'd do.

I have 11 chickens, you have 26. I can't imagine that there would be enough per chicken to do them any harm.

Back
Top Bottom