Can I give week old chicks amprolium and poly vi sol at the same time?

Coccidia are everywhere, and it's just something to be aware of. Young birds and chicks are more at risk than adult birds. Those that are exposed and recover will be resistant to whatever strain(s) they are exposed to. I would just keep amprolium on hand so that you can treat as soon as possible when you see signs. When I have chicks in a brooder, in addition to the precautions of keeping waterers and feeders as clean as possible and keeping bedding clean and dry, I also give them a dish (I use a large plant saucer) of the dirt from outside to scratch, peck and dustbathe in, which exposes them naturally to the microbes in the soil so they have a chance to build resistance while their immune systems are developing. Same as they would be with a broody hen. I also keep amprolium on hand, in case it's needed. I start that on day 1, and it has greatly reduced my incidence in brooder chicks. The saucer makes it easy to dump and clean daily. Yours may have come to you with coccidia already in their digestive tracts. It's also easy to transfer it on shoes and clothing. It's very difficult to prevent completely, but you can be aware, and do what you can to prevent it, and treat quickly when you see the symptoms. When chicks are raised in a brooder with no access to the microbes in the soil then they can possibly be completely unexposed until they are moved outside on the ground, and then you get an outbreak in them at that point. It often happens that way. There are some medicated feeds that contain amprolium in low doses that are intended to help prevent outbreaks, many use them. I do not, I don't like to treat if not neccessary, there is some small risk that it could cause a thiamine deficiency in some susceptible chicks, and there is some debate on whether it might interfere with their natural resistance. Just things to consider. Even if you do use medicated feed (assuming it's available there) you will still have to treat with full strength meds if you do have an outbreak. There is also a coccidiosis vaccine (again, not sure what you have available there), but it has to be done with day old chicks, and vaccinated chicks cannot be fed medicated feed or it negates the vaccine. And, as with all vaccines, it is not a 100% guarantee of protection.
This thread has a very informative video on coccidiosis, if you are interested, in the first post:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-video-worth-watching.1262022/#post-20259051

Coccidia are everywhere, and it's just something to be aware of. Young birds and chicks are more at risk than adult birds. Those that are exposed and recover will be resistant to whatever strain(s) they are exposed to. I would just keep amprolium on hand so that you can treat as soon as possible when you see signs. When I have chicks in a brooder, in addition to the precautions of keeping waterers and feeders as clean as possible and keeping bedding clean and dry, I also give them a dish (I use a large plant saucer) of the dirt from outside to scratch, peck and dustbathe in, which exposes them naturally to the microbes in the soil so they have a chance to build resistance while their immune systems are developing. Same as they would be with a broody hen. I also keep amprolium on hand, in case it's needed. I start that on day 1, and it has greatly reduced my incidence in brooder chicks. The saucer makes it easy to dump and clean daily. Yours may have come to you with coccidia already in their digestive tracts. It's also easy to transfer it on shoes and clothing. It's very difficult to prevent completely, but you can be aware, and do what you can to prevent it, and treat quickly when you see the symptoms. When chicks are raised in a brooder with no access to the microbes in the soil then they can possibly be completely unexposed until they are moved outside on the ground, and then you get an outbreak in them at that point. It often happens that way. There are some medicated feeds that contain amprolium in low doses that are intended to help prevent outbreaks, many use them. I do not, I don't like to treat if not neccessary, there is some small risk that it could cause a thiamine deficiency in some susceptible chicks, and there is some debate on whether it might interfere with their natural resistance. Just things to consider. Even if you do use medicated feed (assuming it's available there) you will still have to treat with full strength meds if you do have an outbreak. There is also a coccidiosis vaccine (again, not sure what you have available there), but it has to be done with day old chicks, and vaccinated chicks cannot be fed medicated feed or it negates the vaccine. And, as with all vaccines, it is not a 100% guarantee of protection.
This thread has a very informative video on coccidiosis, if you are interested, in the first post:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-video-worth-watching.1262022/#post-20259051
Thanks for the idea! We gathered some soil from outside and put it in little saucers in their run. The definitely love the dirt! Also, some termites were flying around last night and were attracted to the brooder's light so the chicks had a blast catching and eating them. I'm hoping the termites exposed them to local bacteria to help develop the chicks' immune systems. And thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom