Can I grow centipede grass in the chicken run?

I’m not too sure if centipede grass is toxic, but I would do a type of grass that you know isn’t toxic. Like grass rye or wheat as long as it’s green. You can also give them fescue grass which is good nutrition and can survive most climates! Good luck

Centipede grass is perfectly edible and my chickens will testify to that.

My barren run testifies to the fact that it's impossible to keep grass growing in the run unless you have VAST spaces that qualify as pasture rather than run.

My 5 hens managed to devastate all the area I could enclose in 100 feet of electric netting in about 8 months despite my attempts to rotate the netting around a core area to prolong the life of the grass.

Centipede grass is fine. It's not a bad choice if it grows in your area.

You might do a search on grazing frames. That's where you build a frame in the run and top it with a wire mesh too small for their heads to fit through. As the grass grows above the wire they pick it off without eating it to the roots and then scratching the roots out.

Centipede grass is fine. It's not a bad choice if it grows in your area.

You might do a search on grazing frames. That's where you build a frame in the run and top it with a wire mesh too small for their heads to fit through. As the grass grows above the wire they pick it off without eating it to the roots and then scratching the roots out.

If you can "acquire" some bread racks from a bakery (newer plastic kind) I will say they make great frames. All ya gotta do is flop them in the run upside down. I "found" mine on the side of the road since my aunt works at a bakery.

Back
Top Bottom