Can I hatch eggs from a 6 year old hen!?

Good news about your incubator. Are you going to follow specific instructions? How are you going to regulate the temp? I am curious because I may attempt to build one too. I bought a lg cabinet type from an auction but it looks so old and I think I could do better. I may reuse some of the insides. I am almost ready to put more eggs in my styrofoam one now that it is empty!

I am going to put holes in one side that keeps them at a consistent temp and a fan hole at the other. I think I will have to make the hole smaller then the fan so there is not a lot of cool air going into the incubator. Or I can just still air incubate them, do you think that would be better? I am going to still put little holes the size of pencils in one side of it. If that is not keeping it the right temp, cut holes that are bigger then that. Then when it gets to lockdown put the things I cut out back in to increase the humidity(not all of the things though). I am going to try to hatch Easter chicks, two on the 30th of May fore one of my teachers and two on the 5th of April. mom said I could when I asked. That is great that your incubator is almost ready for more cuties!
celebrate.gif

I posted an ad for the chicks today. Maybe someone will want some cute babies for Valentines Day. I can't keep them all. What are you going to use as a heat sorce? A light bulb? When I mounted my fan I placed it so it blows OUT! I think the purpose of the fan is to circulate the warm air inside. There is a small hole so some of the air goes out. I saw a youtube about installing the fan that the Little Giant company sells and thats how they did it. I got a 24volt fan from my work place and spliced a 12 volt cord to it. That slows the fan down which is better. It still hums along nicely.

Back
Top Bottom