Can I have a chicken as a pet in my home?

Iloveourbabychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Hickory,NC
I'm just wondering how this would work.Right now she/he is just over a month old.We found take him/her out with us and take him/her to the park and get her used to going in the car and traveling in a cat carrier.She would have time outside to dig in the dirt.We live in an apartment and she was the only chick hatched and we dont want her to go.I got the egg from my father who doesnt care about his chickens.I want this lil chick to have a wonderful life.Am I being fair to him/her?Shes a member of the family and we love her to pieces.Any advice?

There are many BYCers who have house chickens.
yippiechickie.gif
I thought about that too until I couldn't deal with the mess (poop) and the thought of putting chicken diapers on them.
barnie.gif

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

i think it would be fine. there are lots of people with house chickens. i think you can even put a leash or harness on them when you take them out to the park. you can make chicken diapers(someone recently posted a pattern for one) or buy chicken diapers. you could have an indoor cage with a ramp and roost in it for it so it could sleep there and get in and out when it wanted to. unless you're going to put it in bed with you to sleep.
big_smile.png
i think it would be fun to have a house chicken but my hubby would kill me.

You should get an eglu for her if you have a balcony, you could put it out there... with the enclosed run and just have under the run a box, the size and dimensions of the run, filled with dirt, you could even try to grow her/him some grass, and add worms and stuff... I think that'd just be adorable!

I have house chickens myself. 2 white silkies. We keep them in a large box w/clay catlitter on the bottom and use a cat scoop to clean out the droppings. They go out in the backyard daily for excercise,dust bathing,finding food,etc.. They are VERY tame and like being held and petted. Only problem is one is a rooster and his crowing is very loud. Luckly our neighbors don't mind him. Some towns don't approve of keeping chickens at home,
but as long as you don't have a rooster or your neighbors don't complain. Then GO FOR IT!!!

PS. My hen and roo JUST became parents tonight!!
Two beautiful baby chicks!!!!! I don't know who's happier me or the hen!!!

I'd never keep a chicken in the house! We have four 8-week old pullets, and I can't believe the fertilizer left everywhere.... I've read many posts from owners who state the chicken diapers don't work.
The birds have the instinct to scratch continually at the ground. Sometimes my Buff Orp gets into the house (she's very tame) and will scratch the carpet, searching for food, before I can shoo her out again. All four of them are often at our sliding door window on the back porch, looking in and pecking at the glass. Pretty funny, until I open the door, and there is fresh fertilizer where I had just cleaned the bricks off two hours earlier.
hmm.png

We bring our girls in once in a while; they sit on a soft (thick) towel for a bit on our laps. Except for the Buff Orp, they don't stay very long. Exploring is much more fun.
If you were to let them roam about, I don't know how you'd keep them off the kitchen counters and other areas where they would be less than welcome.

You can try it, but be prepared for Plan B.
smile.png

Carla

i don't know but where the design for the diaper and the leash? how could i make one?! this sounds so good! i would do it if i had a diaper and leash. i bought a hutch and put my babies in it and they are right outside my window....yes and i have a rooster...theres NO snooze bbutton!

While it's entirely possible to have a house chicken have you checked with local laws and your landlord? By law chickens are often considered livestock not pets. Some cities don't allow chickens at all. Many others have a rule that any chickens and their dwellings have to be so many feet from the house. If you get caught at best you'd be allowed to give the chicken to someone else and probably pay a fine but at worst the animal can be seized and put down by animal control. Would be good to double check that now.

Back
Top Bottom