can i have help figuring out the breed?¿?

jrsqlc

Obsessed with Peafowl
12 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Northwest Ohio
Ok, I have been told Easter Eggers, Araucanas, Americanas, and one person even told me they were a mixed breed.
The lady I bought them from told me they were Americanas and they were like 5-6 months old. When I got them, they were laying a light green egg and a pinkish egg, but since being with me (6 weeks) they haven’t laid a single egg! Kind of disappointing!
Here are the pics, can the experts here at BYC straighten this out for me!

46025_dscf0516.jpg

I have 2 like this and 3 that are exactly like this, but reverse the red and white.

46025_dscf0517.jpg
46025_dscf0518.jpg

This cool looking one. It is actually blue, like slate grey into sky blue into a real blue. !!Beautiful bird!!

Also can you tell me if these 2 are hens or roos

Thanks everyone!

The chickens pictured are all easter eggers and all females. You were told they were americanas because that's what the hatcheries and feedstores sell their easter eggers as - the seller didn't know any difference. My feedstore sells their easter eggers as "araucanas", so lots of locals here call them that.

I've heard that sometimes hens will quit laying for awhile when rehomed, because of the stress of adjusting to a new place. Another possibility is that they are laying, but are hiding their eggs. Do they free-range at all? If so, they may have found a secret place to lay.

They are easter eggers, which is a cross between an Ameraucana and another breed. They can lay any color egg. Yours look like all girls - now is the time they will take a break from laying... If you got them right before the weather started changing, they could've stopped laying because of the stress from moving, and then just didn't start back up, or maybe they weren't actually laying yet, as the lady had told you...

Quote:
No they dont free range during the winter, although they do have a large fenced in area to forage in. I know that at least one of them was laying because i seen the 1 light green egg and one pink one in their nesting boxes when I picked them up. They were in with a few RIR and 2 or 3 White Leghorns.

I hope it is just the weather and the move.
About 2 weeks after I got my EE I was given 2 Barred rocks and 2 RIR who were all laying and 1 of the BR just started laying again this week. Although it is a little egg about the same size as my bantams, but pinkish.

I cant wait to get my colored eggs!

A big thank you to all of you for your help in clearing this up for me!!

What are you feeding them? Is it the same or similar to what they were getting at their previous home? Sometimes an abrupt food change can be shocking for birds. If you want to ease their transition with a move try to use the same foods, at first.

Back
Top Bottom