Can I have my drake and rooster in the same run?

jang87

In the Brooder
May 26, 2022
They have grown up together for the last 6 weeks. I can see now that tractor supply gave us 3 hens and 1 rooster 🤦🏻‍♀️. We have two rouens and I’m thinking they are both male since I am seeing green reflect through on their heads. Anyway, will they stay friends?

A lot of people on here keep mixed flocks successfully, so it can certainly be done. Do you have any female ducks? I would worry more about how sexually aggressive those drakes will eventually get with your hens.

Oh no! We only have the two ducks. We have one rooster and 9 hens. Do you think it’s certain they are male? I saw green reflecting in the sunlight in bother of them, but only one has a tail that’s curling.

Green can be indicative of males in certain breeds, but I'm not sure that's always the case. I believe it is with Rouen though. Somebody who knows much more about coloring could probably give you a better answer on that.

How old are your ducks? You should be able to tell by their voices what gender they are well before their sex feathers grow in.

Back
Top Bottom