Can i incubate duck eggs with chicken eggs?

circlecfarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Columbia MO
I have a few duck eggs that i want to incubate can i just put them in with the chickens? i dont know if all of them are fertile or not so they will probably not stay long if they are not fertile... would this be a HUGE problem or is there a way i can make it work?.

Thanks

Well I am about to find out. I was trying to be stealth about setting eggs and I put silkies and welsh harlequins in the bator on the same day. I am still going to lockdown and stop turning on day 18, then when the silkies hatch I will it back on the turner. I meant to set the ducks 7 days earlier and then ADD the chicken eggs. So that is what you should do. Set the ducks first then the chickens a week later.

the only problem wil be my eggs going bad... so let me know some of the tricks that work for you
big_smile.png

I so wish I had taken notes when I experimented with chicken and duck eggs;

I found 8 chicken eggs in nest boxes, then a few days later while pulling weeds and trimming trees I found 6 duck eggs scattered all over in the tall grass, a young duck was laying but not sitting. I thought it would be fun to see if any of them hatched. I didn't really know any better and just put the duck eggs in with the chicken eggs. I would turn eggs twice to three times a day, made sure the were laying sloped just a bit. Reduced the temp once I started noticing pipping, I was not sure when any of the eggs where laid. They all could have been anywhere from 2-3 days for the chickens and a week or more for the ducks, so I had no idea when to start "lockdown". Anyway, I reduced the temp, if I remember correctly ducks like a lower temp anyway(?? do I remember correctly??), and would continue to turn eggs that weren't hatching. Made sure to keep water levels good for humidity and set the temp at a duck setting and wouldn't you know it, everyone of the eggs hatched!!!! All of them..... I couldn't believe it. Eggs found around a farm with no mommas setting on them and all hatched. I lived in a very small place at the time and with all these eggs I ended up overrun with babies.

The key I think, in part, was when I removed any chicks I waited until they were full hatched and mostly dry. Then I would barely crack the incubator and slip the chick out. I would also put a towel over the incubator to help cover it when I turned eggs, that helped keep the heat in. I can't remember everything I did, and that is why I wish I had taken notes and paid more attention, but I really didn't think any ducks would hatch and figured maybe one or two of the chickens, but not everything.

Maybe the entire deal was beginners luck, who knows. But I was pretty careful with the heat and humidity, timing and very careful handling.
Good luck with your ducklings, they are some of the cutest little buggers when just hatched:love

Could be tricky unless you can start the duck eggs one week earlier than the chicken eggs. Temp. is the same, humidity needs to be a little higher for duck eggs but it will work. Good luck.

I think I may have a duck egg in with my chicken eggs. Did it opposite, meaning I added duck egg a week after chicken eggs. My thought is take chicken eggs off turner at day 18, increase humidity and go into lockdown for chickens, but leave duck egg on turner. Once chicken eggs hatch it will be time for duck egg to go into lockdown.

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I'll leave the duck eggs on one rail of the turner, and keep it turning until the first chicken egg hatches. Then I'll turn it off to prevent injury to new chicks. As soon as the chickens are out in the brooder, I'll start the duck eggs turning again and get the humidity ideal for ducks.

Back
Top Bottom