Can I incubate goose eggs with chicken eggs?

I’ve got a really broody chicken hen and an incubator. I was wondering if I could incubate all these eggs together or if I need to split them up somehow between the broody hen and incubator. However if I did that I’m afraid I would still have too many chicken eggs that wouldn’t fit under the momma. Could I possibly let the momma hen hatch the goose eggs and put the chicken eggs in the incubator?

I’ve got a really broody chicken hen and an incubator. I was wondering if I could incubate all these eggs together or if I need to split them up somehow between the broody hen and incubator. However if I did that I’m afraid I would still have too many chicken eggs that wouldn’t fit under the momma. Could I possibly let the momma hen hatch the goose eggs and put the chicken eggs in the incubator?
How many chicken eggs are under your hen? What day are the hens eggs on?

How many chicken eggs are under your hen? What day are the hens eggs on?
Good questions.
Also, what breed of hen and what species of geese?
You can set both under the hen as long as she can cover them. Both species eggs need a 13% weight loss during incubation. Chicken eggs need 37.5 C and goose eggs need 37.2 C. That is close enough.
However, the problem comes from the fact that chicken eggs duration is 21 days and the goose eggs are between 28 and 35 days depending on species. If you time the setting so they will all hatch together, that would work. Or better yet, set them all together and at about day 19, put the goose eggs in the incubator to finish them.
Does that make sense?
You want to avoid a staggered hatch under a hen at all cost because she will abandon the stragglers and you'll lose them.

Good questions.
Also, what breed of hen and what species of geese?
You can set both under the hen as long as she can cover them. Both species eggs need a 13% weight loss during incubation. Chicken eggs need 37.5 C and goose eggs need 37.2 C. That is close enough.
However, the problem comes from the fact that chicken eggs duration is 21 days and the goose eggs are between 28 and 35 days depending on species. If you time the setting so they will all hatch together, that would work. Or better yet, set them all together and at about day 19, put the goose eggs in the incubator to finish them.
Does that make sense?
You want to avoid a staggered hatch under a hen at all cost because she will abandon the stragglers and you'll lose them.
Yes that does make sense, and I appreciate all the information!

Back
Top Bottom