Can I incubate Pullet eggs???

CuzChickens

CountryChick
7 Years
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
Good morning!!

So I just started getting my first pullet eggs 1 week ago and I wondered what would happen if I incubated them??? Nothing I guess? They should be fertile.

Good morning!!

So I just started getting my first pullet eggs 1 week ago and I wondered what would happen if I incubated them??? Nothing I guess? They should be fertile.
There are mixed opinions on setting pullet eggs and how soon. I had my best hatch (100%) from my pullet eggs at 4-6 weeks after they started laying. Personally, I would not set the first couple weeks, especially if they are very small. I think it's better to let them size out first. However, there are many hatchers who will set the first eggs and not blink an eye. So, it's all up to you.

There are mixed opinions on setting pullet eggs and how soon. I had my best hatch (100%) from my pullet eggs at 4-6 weeks after they started laying. Personally, I would not set the first couple weeks, especially if they are very small. I think it's better to let them size out first. However, there are many hatchers who will set the first eggs and not blink an eye. So, it's all up to you.

I just had a hen hatch three pullet eggs. They were peewee size. Hen who laid them had been laying a week or two. Hatch was uneventful. Chicks are vigorous & perfect--though small, but I purposely gave her all small eggs so they fit right in. I expect they will grow to full size with good feed, just like small human babies grow to full size.

Last edited:
My daughter wanted to put pullet eggs in the incubator - and so we did some research on when the best time was, and most people recommend at least waiting 4 weeks or so to make sure the eggs are big enough to accommodate a baby chick. The hatch rates will sometimes go down with smaller/underdeveloped eggs, because they don't have as much room to grow and develop.

With pullet eggs, you must be careful about selecting which ones to set. Remember, egg shells don't stretch to accommodate growth. Eggs that are too small might not have enough room for a chick. Also, double yolk eggs are very common for new layers. Those should never be set. Shell quality problems are also prevalent in new layers. Only set eggs with a smooth, good shell. No misshapen or bumpy or rough shelled eggs.
I usually wait till they are laying consistent eggs, about 4 weeks or so. This indicates that all parts of the egg laying system are in proper working order.

Thank you everybody for your answers and advice! I actually could not incubate them if I wanted to right now because I do not have a incubator, but I wondered what would happen anyway. Does anybody have a tried and trusted incubator brand/model that they love using?

Thank you everybody for your answers and advice!  I actually could not incubate them if I wanted to right now because I do not have a incubator, but I wondered what would happen anyway.  Does anybody have a tried and trusted incubator brand/model that they love using?

Depends on your finances. If you have the $$ Brinsea is a good investment. For a mid line bator, I'd consider the Hovabator lines. It's the only styro bator I would recommend. Personally I'd stay away from the digital little giants and the farm innovators if possible.

Depends on your finances. If you have the $$ Brinsea is a good investment. For a mid line bator, I'd consider the Hovabator lines. It's the only styro bator I would recommend. Personally I'd stay away from the digital little giants and the farm innovators if possible.
Ok! I really really want the Brinsea Octagon 40 eco, buuuut, it is $420.00 sooo..... But I really like the Turbofan Hovabator incubator, so if I am not able to get the brinsea, I will probably get that and with a turner, it is $130.00.

Incuview. Best value, all around. All the features of the Brinsea with a much more affordable price tag. And you can't beat the customer service at Incubator Warehouse.
I REALLY like the looks of that! I just googled it and looked at it. I had never heard of it. But I love the look of it. And it is only about $40.00 more than the hovabator I was looking at.

Back
Top Bottom