Can I integrate 9 week old hens in with my 7 week olds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by banananutmuffin, Jun 3, 2011.

1. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

I have three 7 week old hens (a red sexlink, a welsummer and an australorp). I was thinking about adding two 9 week old Easter Eggers. Is this a bad idea? Is the age difference too dramatic? Any tips for successful integration?

Thanks!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That's not much age difference, but there will be the usual posturing. Are you concerned about bio-security or transfer of disease?

3. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    i have integrated birds of all ages without any trouble. Here's what I do.... i have two runs and housing separated by nylon fencing(cheap, since it's in the middle of my "real" fencing. I have birds in each run and i feed the scratch along the dividing nylon fence. I do this for about 2 weeks and then combine them with ease. If the birds are older I do it for more time. This seems to work great for me.

4. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

Well, I can't afford a second coop right now, so I can't keep them separate for any length of time.

I'm not really concerned about the transferring of disease. I am more concerned about a bird getting hurt, injured or killed.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You should have no problem as your pullets are only a couple of weeks apart in age. They will still do the chest bumping and establishing their pecking order.

6. amedley

amedley New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    I have some 1 year old hens and just got some 8 week old hens, can I integrate them the same way or do I need to do some thing different?

7. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    We combined our two groups that were two weeks apart. but they all went into the just built coop. No problems. I called it chicken shock and awe. Everyone was in a new location so all had to adjust.

Dave

8. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Love the shock and awe term Dave. I did a similar thing with 8mth-1yr old hens and my RIR juveniles. plus I kept the RIRs separate (inside the same coop at night) until the pecking order was sorted out. no problems

9. janf1914

janf1914 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    This is all very interesting. What about combining 4 6month old pullets with 3 or 4 2 month old bantams? Do you think it would work? We're looking down the road....[​IMG]

Married to a wonderful, handy husband with 3 beautiful daughters and 4 silly chickens - 1 BO, 1 RIR, 1 Ameracauna, and 1 ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by