can I integrate one gamefowl hen to my flock

Yes, introduce the middle bird to the new bird, in the run/coop.

If you can, pull all three birds out and let the new bird in the coop/run by herself. There is a difference in seeing a place, and being in a place for chickens. They don't like strange, it panics them. Then being chased and attacked panics them into being unable to think. So let her have a couple of hours in there, safe and not harrassed by herself.

Then add the middle bird. Let them have this coop/run to themselves for a couple of days, until the newbie is roosting. Then put the crate back in the run. Let them see the other birds in the coop/run without the sky falling. WAIT... then either let both out, and that might work just fine. Or let one out... see how it goes... then let the second out when it is pretty dark.

If that does not work, DO get the pin-less peepers for sure, but I think it will work.

Mrs K
ok, so the middle one and her are in the run and are totally fine. would you let the head buff orpington hen next? or the meanest easter egger that is the current bottom of the pecking order next?

Oh good, I was pretty sure that would work, it has worked for me in the past. So the big thing is to wait a few days.

Generally there is one super mean one, that attacks first, and then one that follows the leader. You want to add the follower, again, rather late in the day, maybe half an hour before dark. See how it goes. Again, a bit of bluster and chase is fine, and keep the hose handy. But after several days out of the coop, I really would not expect much.

Then wait several days again. That top bird is a naturally dominant bird, she will be the top leader more than likely, but if the trio, have had time to bond, it will be three against one, and she will probably bluster up with all of them, but that is exhausting, so should relax once she has made her point. Again, add her late in the day, when the urge to roost, is nearly equal to the urge to fight.

Mrs K

HI! So my update is that I put the lowest in the pecking order in a crate in the run- the easter egger- who pinned down the little gamefowl. Now the gamefowl is with the top bird and middle bird. but she is staying high up out of anyones way becasue anytime she comes down she gets pecked by the top buff. When do I let the easter egger back out? It could take a long time before the gamefowl is comfortable with the two chickens and actually ranging with them.

Oh good, I was pretty sure that would work, it has worked for me in the past. So the big thing is to wait a few days.

Generally there is one super mean one, that attacks first, and then one that follows the leader. You want to add the follower, again, rather late in the day, maybe half an hour before dark. See how it goes. Again, a bit of bluster and chase is fine, and keep the hose handy. But after several days out of the coop, I really would not expect much.

Then wait several days again. That top bird is a naturally dominant bird, she will be the top leader more than likely, but if the trio, have had time to bond, it will be three against one, and she will probably bluster up with all of them, but that is exhausting, so should relax once she has made her point. Again, add her late in the day, when the urge to roost, is nearly equal to the urge to fight.

Mrs K
oh I didn't see this reply! thank you Mrs. K. :) Is it okay that I'm putting the lowest, mean easter egger in the crate in the run or is it better if she's to be out of sight?

oh I didn't see this reply! thank you Mrs. K. :) Is it okay that I'm putting the lowest, mean easter egger in the crate in the run or is it better if she's to be out of sight?
so my new gamefowl is not leaving a very high up perch all day. so how is she supposed ot get integrated if she never comes down? i feel like this could take weeks and i have my easter egger locked up still. my concern with keeping her in a crate for a long time is that she's very close to laying and i feel like this is stressing her out. should i be encouraging the gamefowl to come off the perch and interact? how to i speed up this process?

Attachments

• IMG_6778.JPG
    IMG_6778.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
You are rushing it. Pull the EE and the other top bird back out. Keep them out of the set up for a week. If you think the trio are settling down, as in the game bird is relaxed and with them, leave them be, but if she is still perched out of reach, then pull the meanie.

If you can put them where they can't see the set up, it might work better. But leave them apart for at least 5 days. This will reset the behavior. You need the game bird to get comfortable, and to belong to the coop. And be friends with the other bird. Before you add another one.

Google pin-less peepers. You might need to order them and put them on both aggressive birds. It has helped a lot of flocks. Especially if due to your set up, it is a pain to keep them separated.

Mrs K

So I can't believe it actually happened but they are all in the run together hanging out. My easter egger definitely is going after her but i'm hoping there will be no pinning down. If they are doing okay in the run can I open the coop door and let them in and out or is that too risky with the little one getting pinned down in there?
Also my buff hasn't layed in 3 days - is this normal? she usually lays everyday.

Ok we are getting there! Hurray! I think I would open the coop, and just keep a close eye on it at night, and in the early morning.

A lot of things can cause a hiccup in laying, a new situation is one of them, or excessive heat.

good luck!

Last edited:
Ok we are getting there! Hurray! I think I would open the coop, and just keep a close eye on it at night, and in the early morning.

A lot of things can cause a hiccup in laying, a new situation is one of them, or excessive heat.

good luck!
ok thank you. would I know if she's eggbound? she's acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom