Can I introduce week old chicks to 5 week old chicks of a different breed?

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I just found out my 'straight run' of Welsummers wasn't so straight, I've got 4 roosters and one hen. They are now 5 weeks old. I want to do what I can to keep as many birds as possible. I found a store nearby that sells sexed chicks. I'm unsure what breed but they are not wellsummers. Would I be okay to go and buy 4 sexed chicks and introduce them to/raise them with my welsummers? This way I only have to get rid of 3 birds. I can keep one hen and one rooster, and have 4 sexed chicks.

Is this an okay plan or a bad idea?

They may be okay if they are about the same size, but the may be strangers so you may need to introduce them in increments and keep an eye on them until they get used to each other. I don't know what your brooder or run set up is but if you were able to add a divider that would work best. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a 50 gal tote as a brooder and I could probably put a separation into in very easily. I found someone on Craigslist who is interested in two of the roosters which is good news.

Here is a picture of my brooder.
IMG_20190825_202432422-2137x1603.jpg

Back
Top Bottom