Can I just say - I'm so damn sick of bumblefoot

Andrea PNW

Songster
Sep 4, 2020
I'm just venting but - yesterday was the 3rd visit to the vet for Beverly's bumblefoot. Her first one healed after two vet trips to lance and remove the gross. Yesterday's is a different one on the other foot. I'm starting to become a pro at home treatment but if there's no gross plug then all the soaking + scrip topical antibiotic + booties in the world can help without a scalpel. And I'm not ready to do my own minor surgery yet.

I've completely changed their terrain so they avoid hard surfaces and have put in ramps so there is no attempt to fly off the porch and onto concrete. It seems to be working but dammit if I just found a bumble on Winnie's foot.

Does it ever stop???

And since I'm just complaining in this post - here are some random duck pics of my babies :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210819_162151.jpg
    IMG_20210819_162151.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210816_132407.jpg
    IMG_20210816_132407.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210811_155004.jpg
    IMG_20210811_155004.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210731_224456.jpg
    IMG_20210731_224456.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 12
You can treat without making an incision. Many people do it. You would soak, use a drawing salve (like prid), some wrap some don't.
Maybe it's time to figure out why they keep getting bumble and come up with a solution to prevent it.
I've never had bumble until recently and it's because the shavings we got were not like shavings but pieces of wood and I think the one stepped on a piece wrong and ended up with an infection. So, we won't get that type again (from a local feed mill).

You can treat without making an incision. Many people do it. You would soak, use a drawing salve (like prid), some wrap some don't.
Maybe it's time to figure out why they keep getting bumble and come up with a solution to prevent it.
I've never had bumble until recently and it's because the shavings we got were not like shavings but pieces of wood and I think the one stepped on a piece wrong and ended up with an infection. So, we won't get that type again (from a local feed mill).
I think I know why - they were trying to fly off the top step onto a concrete pad and so they'd scrape the bottom of their feet. Have ramps up now that they are def using and not flying anymore and it seems to be working but man I don't know. I do have bark mulch in my beds and they mostly free range thanks to my fully fenced yard but I have blackberry bushes in the far corners which could also be out. Blergh.

I completely feel your pain. It can completely suck and at times a drain. Right now I have my Pekin with bumblefoot for like the 4 or 5 time. I have a runner with an injured leg that is on the mend but looks like it will be a while before she is back on her feet. Small victories is I don't need to tube feed her anymore. And I have a sick guinea pig with a respiratory infection that just won't go away.

What helps me is some days, I skip serious treatment and just enjoy the ducks. You need to remember why you love having them and the good times. But yeah it can be draining. I hope things get better.

I completely feel your pain. It can completely suck and at times a drain. Right now I have my Pekin with bumblefoot for like the 4 or 5 time. I have a runner with an injured leg that is on the mend but looks like it will be a while before she is back on her feet. Small victories is I don't need to tube feed her anymore. And I have a sick guinea pig with a respiratory infection that just won't go away.

What helps me is some days, I skip serious treatment and just enjoy the ducks. You need to remember why you love having them and the good times. But yeah it can be draining. I hope things get better.
Sheesh - that's terrible. And good point about enjoying them. All 5 are currently under my chair and it's like I'm sitting on them like a mama duck :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_150752.jpg
    IMG_20210829_150752.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210829_150723.jpg
    IMG_20210829_150723.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 14
Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, you are just venting. I completely relate. I was so sick of bumblefoot in that year I seriously went to my vet, with no ducks, in tears saying, "what am I doing wrong?!" It was really hard. I hope you find a solution. *hugs*

As always, I love seeing photos of your ducks. <3

Changing the environment really helped me. My ducks who had issues sound similar to your situation. I took them to the vet, they healed, and then in a few weeks it came right back. This went on for me for about a year, with the daily foot washing, until I finally asked my vet why they had the issue and how to prevent it.

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but the back deck and hard wood floors inside are probably contributing - in my opinion. You know those foam puzzle work out mats? I used those for a while for my duck who had the worst problem with bumblefoot and she didn't develop any sores. I wonder if you could use those, or something similar, over your deck or an area on your hard wood floor. Otherwise, it might be best to have them wear neoprene boots inside.

My vet told me to only allow my ducks to walk on grass outside and 4-6 inches of clean dry straw or hay (basically grass) or thick layers of towels (3+ towels) inside. I followed her advice and redid my entire set up. I removed all boards, pea gravel, wood shavings, cinder blocks, and anything hard. My ducks have never had bumblefoot again in 5 years.

It does seem that this isn't the case with all ducks. Some ducks can use wood shavings just fine. But mine were very sensitive and couldn't. *shrug* It was a serious pain in the butt, because I had to completely clean out their barn room every weekend or the straw would mold - but I was willing to do that to prevent painful foot sores.

I hope your ducks are feeling better soon. Let me know if anything helps.

Last edited:
Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, you are just venting. I completely relate. I was so sick of bumblefoot in that year I seriously went to my vet, with no ducks, in tears saying, "what am I doing wrong?!" It was really hard. I hope you find a solution. *hugs*

As always, I love seeing photos of your ducks. <3

Changing the environment really helped me. My ducks who had issues sound similar to your situation. I took them to the vet, they healed, and then in a few weeks it came right back. This went on for me for about a year, with the daily foot washing, until I finally asked my vet why they had the issue and how to prevent it.

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but the back deck and hard wood floors inside are probably contributing - in my opinion. You know those foam puzzle work out mats? I used those for a while for my duck who had the worst problem with bumblefoot and she didn't develop any sores. I wonder if you could use those, or something similar, over your deck or an area on your hard wood floor. Otherwise, it might be best to have them wear neoprene boots inside.

My vet told me to only allow my ducks to walk on grass outside and 4-6 inches of clean dry straw or hay (basically grass) or thick layers of towels (3+ towels) inside. I followed her advice and redid my entire set up. I removed all boards, pea gravel, wood shavings, cinder blocks, and anything hard. My ducks have never had bumblefoot again in 5 years.

It does seem that this isn't the case with all ducks. Some ducks can use wood shavings just fine. But mine were very sensitive and couldn't. *shrug* It was a serious pain in the butt, because I had to completely clean out their barn room every weekend or the straw would mold - but I was willing to do that to prevent painful foot sores.

I hope your ducks are feeling better soon. Let me know if anything helps.
Only straw in their duck house but ugh - I just have too many hard surfaces and they free range so they go where they go and that's usually where I am. Which is usually on the deck (trex) or the patio. When I'm working in my office in the house they just sleep in the deck next to the slider for most of the day until I come out with my computer after my zoom meetings. But honestly, even when I work outside all day they still prefer to nap (and poop) on the covered deck.

It appears I've encouraged unhealthy co-dependent duck behavior. I wish I had a duck whisperer that could tell me all the things I'm doing wrong.

On that note it's duck foot soak time :(

Have you thought about putting a fence around your porch area? You may need to fence it off for their own good. I keep mine in a large fenced area, so they can only go into certain parts of my yard. So free ranged with boundaries.

Have you thought about putting a fence around your porch area? You may need to fence it off for their own good. I keep mine in a large fenced area, so they can only go into certain parts of my yard. So free ranged with boundaries.
I think I'm gonna have to. Probably all my visitors would be delighted to not have to dodge the duck poop that I have to house down 3 times a day

Back
Top Bottom