Can I keep 2 hens with 1 drake together?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I have 7 drakes and 2 female ducks. I have them separated in their coop, but they can still see each other. The 2 females are together in their side of the coop. One of the males seems to prefer the females side, for whatever reason and it could be bc he probably wants to breed with them, but I don’t know. My pekin ducks are 20 weeks old. The hens have just started laying eggs almost a week ago. I thought about putting the drake with the hens, but would that be worth it? I know drakes aren’t happy if there aren’t enough hens to go around. Are the hens enough for this one drake?

My son has three pekins -- 2 female and a drake -- that are devoted to each other, but they have been together from being day old ducklings.

The drake like all drakes is sex mad but they all get along OK with that. The smallest actively encourages the drake by explicit flirting

So if your drake and the two females are happy to b e together -- let them be, you can always separate them again if there should be a problem

I have 7 drakes and 2 female ducks. I have them separated in their coop, but they can still see each other. The 2 females are together in their side of the coop. One of the males seems to prefer the females side, for whatever reason and it could be bc he probably wants to breed with them, but I don’t know. My pekin ducks are 20 weeks old. The hens have just started laying eggs almost a week ago. I thought about putting the drake with the hens, but would that be worth it? I know drakes aren’t happy if there aren’t enough hens to go around. Are the hens enough for this one drake?
I think putting one drake in with the girls is just fine but not all of the drakes. I would also suggest getting more females if you are going to have that many drakes or you can make a bachelor pad for the boys.

I have one drake with 2 females and they love being together. However, every so often I have to keep him separate during the day because he gets too lovey with them. When I see bald spots on the back of their necks it's time for him to spend a few days in the pen while they free range during the day. This seems to work for us... the drake gets upset but the girls love hanging out without him all day.

My son has three pekins -- 2 female and a drake -- that are devoted to each other, but they have been together from being day old ducklings.

The drake like all drakes is sex mad but they all get along OK with that. The smallest actively encourages the drake by explicit flirting

So, if your drake and the two females are happy to be together -- let them be, you can always separate them again if there should be a problem
We have now introduced a third duck to my son's flock. The two girls accepted the new duck just fine and they all sleep together in the pen. But now, 4 weeks after first moving the third duck, the drake is still trying to shoo her away. Daft drake. So, he has to stay in his partitioned section of the coop for two hours in the morning while the girls have girl time together and fun in the wading pool. When he is let out, is gather up his original two females and leaves the third, new, female behind.

Back
Top Bottom