Can I keep a baby goat with others?

kruss

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
I just got a one month old bottle baby. She is the only one i hve right now. Is it ok to keep her with an adult doe that isn't her mom? I haven't bought the doe yet bc I wasn't sure I it would be ok. I know i need another goat in with her to keep her company. Please let me know what you think on the issue!

You'd be better off getting another one around her age if at all possible and raise them together. Goats are a lot like chickens, they don't take well to newcomers. You would need to keep them separated by a fence for a while to let them get used to each other before putting them together. I wouldn't do it until the baby is quite a bit bigger. I once had a new doeling get in with my two older does and the boss doe had the baby penned in a corner, butting the you-know-what out of her. Luckily I was right there and got her out of there.

I agree with cafarmgirl. Another baby would be the best way to go. If you have the space to keep the older doe from the kid until the kid is old enough or they get used to each other, then it may be okay, but otherwise it just isn't worth the risk that the older doe could seriously damage your bottle baby.

Thank y'all. I was thinking the same thing but I wanted advice from someone with more experience than I do. One more question. I have the option to buy a bottle buckling. Is it true that he can be with my doeling for 4 months at most or should he be separated earlier than that? At what age would be safe for my doeling to be with older does?

Usually you're okay to have them together for up to 4 months. Some bucks are rowdier than others, so if you do choose to keep them together that long, keep a close eye on them. Generally speaking, does don't go into estrus until they're about six months old and bucks don't get rowdy until 4 months, but there have been exceptions.
When I am introducing a new goat into my herd, it generally isn't under 3 months of age. I have them in different pens but beside each other so they can't hurt each other but can sniff and even posture to each other. The new goat is kept in separate housing at night as well. After a week, if they are getting along beside each other, I'll put the new one in with the herd in the pasture and watch to make sure s/he is accepted or at least isn't getting beat up too much. If that goes well for a few days, I put them in the goat house together. Again I watch and am prepared to yank the new one out if needed.
Doing it this way usually takes about two weeks to introduce a new goat, but it has been working very well and keeping everyone safe.

Ok thanks! I'm going to look at some bottle bucklings today. They will both be the same age so I will keep them together for 2-2 1/2 months then I will separate them and put her in with the grown ones. I'm still very new to all this! Another question...when I take him out do I need to get another buck or a wether to keep with him?

Back
Top Bottom