Can I keep chickens in city limits of Greenville, SC?

I laughed out loud reading that! I can't believe he said ALL chickens have mites and lice. Mine don't. And my dogs do not have fleas! Good job selling your roos and good luck with your girls! You should be getting eggs soon, right? I can't believe I'm starting with chicks again. We lost one of our three recently (so sad!) and felt like it was time to replenish our little flock. Will post pics later... Maybe we need a Greenville Chicken thread??? Start a new one? Would love to network within our true community!

Ahhh, so you got the jest of the evening....interesting, huh?!!! I am a newbie with chickens so I don't know much from a hands-on perspective. I have read till I've fallen asleep on the BackYard Chicken site (and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express 2 weeks ago) so I have learned a bit.

I'm looking forward to mine laying and it would be interesting to chicken chat from time to time.....I'm sure there are MANY Greenvillians that have chickens and I personally know some with chickens on Augusta Road....so chickens are here to stay and well loved by most communities. I'd imagine that like anything - mistreatment, ill-handled animals are a reflection of their owners and since we can't rid a neighborhood of the red-neck neighbor the chickens get the boot. Fortunately, good owners can have chickens and since I'm in the country I have kept 4 hens and a roo.

Good luck!

I live off Augusta Road and have 2 Barred Plymoth Rocks....my first chickens and love it. I plan on adding to my flock soon. I would highly recommend chickens.

There are a few people in our neighborhood with chickens! Good to know in case we have questions or need help chicken sitting!

My two oldies are a Rhode Island Red and a Golden Comet.
My three new ones are Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Delaware.

Watch out for the hawk that covers our area--it's been eyeing my girls for a while...

I'm not sure how to private message on here, but stay in touch!
Dana

I know this is an older post, but I'm going to try anyway. We had 8 chickens, no roosters. I was given a silkie, one of my FAVORITE kinds. Well, KATIE crowed. :-( A real, live, loud, from the depths of the soul crow!! So, it not only is illegal in the fact that he is #9, he is illegal because he is a rooster. My question is: is there a fine if we have more than 8, or have a rooster in Greenville county? I can't find any info on the Internet. I don't want to call the county and raise attention to me being the rule breaker. We love Katie, which now needs a new name. He is the sweetest little guy I've ever seen. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Mrs. C
We have 4 Buff Orpington laying hens (no rooster) in East Park near Nicholtown in Downtown Greenville. The statute for poultry raising within the City limits is purposefully vague, in a kind of live and let live vein I suppose, suggesting that when your neighbors complain about noise, crowing, odor or unwarranted visits (adventurous chickens!) then the city will respond. The County of Greenville is stricter. No more than 8 hens, no roosters, etc. In some areas like Greer they are still prohibited perhaps because of popular cock-fighting matches in some latino communities.

The Greenville Journal recently published a great article (June 2015) about the "Rent a Chicken" businesses that are popping up. Read it here, it's a fun read: http://greenvillejournal.com/local/4488-poultry-in-motion.html

In the article you will find this:

Many areas have rules about backyard chickens:

Greenville County
  • Backyard chickens allowed in single-family, two-family or multifamily zoned areas.
  • No more than 8 chickens.
  • No roosters allowed.
  • Confined to the backyard and not allowed to roam.
  • Chickens maintained in healthy and sanitary manner without health hazards or offensive odors.
  • Coops or enclosures should be screened from adjacent properties.
City of Greenville
  • Residents cannot keep chickens in quantities that “unreasonably disrupt or disturb the peace and quiet of any person, or to interfere with the reasonable use of property or enjoyment of life by any person.”
  • Coops must be clean and provide cross-ventilation.
  • Coops must be taller than 18 inches.
  • Clean food and water must be provided at all times.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Craig Ayliffe

Thanks. I guess I'm thankful for the vagueness then. Maybe a call to Mr. Meadow's office to ask him to make changes to the rules will do some good. I don't have a problem with all of the list, only the cap on the amount, and the no roosters. I want to keep Katie, and now that I have 4 more illegals; I'd like to see him raise a family. Well, after he gets a new name, of course. Something manly. lol I'm just so used to calling him Katie.
Oh, by the way, Greer is allowing chickens now. How great is that?! My friends are waiting for their little peepers to grow up.

Back
Top Bottom