Can I keep chickens in city limits of Greenville, SC?

nnpack

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Greenville, SC
I'm new here, and am very interested in keeping a few chickens in my urban backyard. One neighbor has said she's excited about having fresh eggs nearby. Another neighbor (down the street) wants to have some of their own, too. But I can't determine what our local laws say. Is anyone here from Greenville, SC and know. Or, can anyone tell me how to find out?

Thank you so much for your help.

A future chicken owner (i hope).

Google your city's name and look for a city run website with zoning ordinances.

You can also call your zoning department, but if they tell you "NO", make them back it up by showing you the written ordinance.

chel

Thank you, Chel. I appreciate the advice. I will do that. Do you raise silkies? I noted your profile pic was a silkie. I am wanting to start with Silkies. My thought was that a rare or unusual breed would boost my argument that these are pets (and eggs) and not dinner.

Nichola

Hey NN,

I also live in Greenville (downtown), and we've been wanting chickens for a while. A neighbor told us that a man in the neighborhood used to have some chickens, but the city confiscated them, so we just took his word that chickens aren't allowed. (However, the man with the chicks also had a couple of really loud roosters.)

Don't know if you've found the answer yet, but I was thinking this afternoon and I looked at the city's website, and found I could look up the municipal codes through a link at http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=40&pid=13105

Here
is what the law says:
Sec. 4-7. Keeping domestic fowl; no disturbance of others.
No person shall keep on premises located in the city any chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, geese, pheasants, pigeons or other domestic fowl, in quantities or in a manner as to unreasonably disrupt or disturb the peace and quiet of any person, or to interfere with the reasonable use of property or enjoyment of life by any person, or unreasonably to cause damage, destruction, detriment or impairment to public or private property or to the property's value, or to cause unreasonable annoyance or disturbance to any other person or to unreasonably cause offense to another person by reason of noise, odor, filth, vermin or other causes.
(Ord. No. 98-39, § 1, 6-8-98)

Sec. 4-8. Coops for containment of fowl.
No person shall confine fowl in coops or other enclosures less than 18 inches in height. The coops or other enclosures shall allow fowl to move around freely within the coops or enclosures. All coops or other enclosures used to confine fowl shall be provided at all times with clean food and pure water placed in containers outside of the coops or other enclosures, protected from contamination, and accessible to the fowl at all times. Coops or other enclosures used to confine fowl shall be provided with clean litter and cross-ventilation at all times.
(Ord. No. 98-39, § 1, 6-8-98)

So it appears that as long as your chickens aren't disturbing the neighbors or causing a stink (literally or figuratively), then chickens are legal in Greenville.
big_smile.png

Hope this helps! I've just emailed my husband to tell him the good news, and I can't wait to get some chicks now!

A fellow Greenvillian and future chicken owner,
Jules C.

I live in columbus ohio and my city told me to get ahold of city health department. They are the ones that regulate it there. GL:)

Wooo- hoo!
lol.png
Thank you, Jules C.! I apreciate so much you checking that out. I have the zoning phone number and plan on calling on Monday to get more details if needed. I don't plan on keeping roosters, so I don't think that noise will be an issue. Two of my neighbors are already on board.

Being that you live downtown ( I live off of Laurens & Parkins Mill), I would love to hear how your coop building and chicken hunting goes. I am looking for more exotic, but egg-laying, breeds to enchant my neighbors.

Nic

Nic,

I was wondering if you've gotten some backyard birds and how that is going? I'm near the Walgreens on the corner and considering a couple of chickens.

Thanks!

M

I am also in downtown Greenville, and we just got babies last month! My husband, 2 daughters and I just finished building a smallish, A-frame style, movable coop and have 3 chicks about 5 weeks old. We live near the intersection of Faris and Augusta. The chicks are mostly inside now, but I have started putting them out for a few hours a day. I pre-ordered them from TR Feed and Seed in Travelers Rest.

Do you have or know anyone else downtown who has chickens?

ann

I'm in Piedmont but I grew up in Berea. I know people that have chickens in the city of Greenville. Unless someone complains( usually about the smell or noise) it's fine . If you keep a clean and quiet coop any complaints will be overlooked. keep loud roosters inside late in the mornings and offer the "fertilizer" to your Neighbors that garden. Most people are glad to see chickens in unlikely places. As far as laws, If anything gets to be a problem, somebody will find a law to stop it.(Look at the crawfish boil)

Back
Top Bottom