Can i keep just one guinea keet all alone?

1st_chicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
I had two guinea keets free ranging while i watched, but a dog came snatched one and began shaking it. I ran over and got the keet from that brute. But the other keet gone missing. I could not find it anywhere. Now i only have one guinea keet.
sad.png
hit.gif

Will it die from loneliness if it is all alone? I have 4 grown guineas, but they aren't taking interest in it.
sad.png

One of my guineas are sitting on eggs now. Do you think she might adopt him after she hatches the eggs she is on. even if he is 5 weeks old??

I also have a mother hen with two chicks, i put the guinea keet and them together in a box for the night, and she snuggled him under her wings with her chicks.

But this morning when i let them out, the keet did not follow her.
sad.png

Do you think if i leave them together in a box for a night and day, she will adopt him?
hu.gif

Guinea Hens don't usually accept keets that they have not hatched, so she will probably kill it if you try to stuff it under her after she hatches her own clutch. Chances that the lone keet will be accepted are probably slim to none
hmm.png

IMO, you are better off trying to get the Chicken Hen to adopt the lone keet. I'd build an enclosed area for the Hen, her chicks and the keet in the coop, and contain them all until the keet is accepted and everybody has bonded, (or worst case scenario, it is rejected). They aren't going to bond over night, you will need to give it a little time.

Last edited:
If you can find a friend - chicken his size to keep him company now, as soon as he is bigger the guineas will accept him. I had two young guineas that befriended a bantam rooster. Now that they are bigger they stick with the guineas. They changed flocks on their own no help from me.

Back
Top Bottom