Can i keep my Old hen in flock with a rooster?

loonychickenlady

Chirping
Dec 27, 2021
I have a 6 year old pekin bantam who long ago already has retired and isn’t laying and we want to put her into our bantam flock which has an active rooster.
First issue is she is about 80% blind so she manages to get around her space and find food and water just fine but we are concerned that a rooster will try mate with her and give her a fright and she will get disoriented.

So first question and I can’t seem to find the answer to this anywhere… will a rooster try mate with a really old hen?
And second would it be better to keep her separate from the flock?

We do have an option to get her her own small coop and put her with another chicken that is crippled so she isn’t alone but isn't in danger either. Would that be better?

I would go with the second option. A handicapped bird frequently becomes a target in a flock. If not from the rooster (some are quite sensible) then from the other hens exerting their dominance.

I would go with the second option. A handicapped bird frequently becomes a target in a flock. If not from the rooster (some are quite sensible) then from the other hens exerting their dominance.
Thanks that makes sense. And some of our pekin hens in the flock have quite a bit of attitude so id rather go with that then.

What Mr sourland wrote.
I would keep careful watch once you relocate her with the bantams. They may not appreciate her presence.
With regard to the question of whether a rooster will try and mate with an older hen in my experience the answer is yes.

Back
Top Bottom