Can I let my chooks into the tomato patch?

Stablecoop

Songster
May 26, 2020
Eastern Massachusetts
We are putting the garden to bed and I lightly ran the disc over the tomato rows. Would love the chooks to tear it up more. Can I let the chooks into this portion of the garden, do they know better not to eat the tomato plants and things that aren’t good for them? Plenty of bugs and weeds but they’d have the opportunity to potentially eat tomato plant too. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

We are putting the garden to bed and I lightly ran the disc over the tomato rows. Would love the chooks to tear it up more. Can I let the chooks into this portion of the garden, do they know better not to eat the tomato plants and things that aren’t good for them? Plenty of bugs and weeds but they’d have the opportunity to potentially eat tomato plant too. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!
Mine have been in the tomatoes for a week and nobody's keeled over. They seem more interested in bugs than anything in the garden. They did take a few pecks out of a cucumber and theyre pretty rough on squash vines and bush beans.

I know I have seen tomatoes on the "do not feed" list... but my chickens eat them, and have a time or two broken into the tomato patch and eaten EVERYTHING (plants and fruit) all with zero ill effects.

So yes, I would let them in to clean it up.

And actually I let my chickens eat up all leftover garden stuff... including the tomatoes.

I know I have seen tomatoes on the "do not feed" list... but my chickens eat them, and have a time or two broken into the tomato patch and eaten EVERYTHING (plants and fruit) all with zero ill effects.

And actually I let my chickens eat up all leftover garden stuff... including the tomatoes.
Thank you!!!

That’s awesome, thank you!!

Tomatoes are fine... it’s the green part that’s in the no no list and chickens naturally seem to avoid it. But tomatoes are very good for them and a great source of hydration in the summer months

Back
Top Bottom