can i let new flock out safely?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wlkrvllyny, May 6, 2011.

1. wlkrvllyny

wlkrvllyny Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I got a laying quartet 5 days ago. they have been in an enclosed run. They go in the coop at 7pm automatically. These birds came from a free range farm. Is it ok yet to let them out? We have eagles which nest nearby, so I am a little scared. No dogs except our own. Will the chickens be assimilated yet to know to run away to the coop if there is danger?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi! This is really up to you. My personal feelings are that I like my chickens to be able to free range, because they're happier hens. There is always risk when you free range. With me, it's hawks. I think that it's just got to be soooo boring for hens to just pace in a chicken run all day.

So really, you've got to decide this for yourself. You can play it safe and keep them locked in a coop with an attached run, or you can let them free range, and just make sure they're locked up at night.

I live in the country with woods surrounding my place. This will be my third summer with laying hens, and I've lost one per year. Usually it's a younger pullet or rooster. They do learn to hide from predators, but they don't always notice in time.....

Good luck to you in your decision.....

Sharon

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I have to agree with chicmom. Even though I lost my favorite to a hawk (I believe) just yesterday. I feel so bad that I have them locked up in the barn today on what has become the best day of spring so far. I will let them out to free range when I get home and then continue. They were not happy with me this morning when they noticed that they could not get out. It is a very tough choice though. I am sure you will be a good mom no matter what you choose!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by