Can I let them out?

Free Rrange Farmer

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
I have a broody hen that has had 2 chicks they are now 3-4 weeks old and starting to outgrow the pen they're in and I wanted to let them out with the rest of the flock?
hey mother was the 'boss' of the others but i understand the pecking order can change after she's been away for a while. I have also introduced some pullets and cockerels in to the flock from my hatch since she's been away from them.

Are the chicks old enough to be out?
Will the others attack her or the chicks?

do they have space to escape if there is an aggressive hen? usually they are ok, as little chicks are quite fast. with a mother protecting them, even better.

if you want to be cautious you can always keep them in a separate run for a week until they get used to each other. the hens are always going to harass the chicks if they are trying to take the food though. other than a peck or two, they shouldn't be severely harming them. more 'teaching them the ropes - big eats first' :)

do they have space to escape if there is an aggressive hen? usually they are ok, as little chicks are quite fast. with a mother protecting them, even better.

if you want to be cautious you can always keep them in a separate run for a week until they get used to each other. the hens are always going to harass the chicks if they are trying to take the food though. other than a peck or two, they shouldn't be severely harming them. more 'teaching them the ropes - big eats first' :)
Okay thanks I will let them out and watch for a bit and see how we go!

I have a broody hen that has had 2 chicks they are now 3-4 weeks old and starting to outgrow the pen they're in and I wanted to let them out with the rest of the flock?
hey mother was the 'boss' of the others but i understand the pecking order can change after she's been away for a while. I have also introduced some pullets and cockerels in to the flock from my hatch since she's been away from them.

Are the chicks old enough to be out?
Will the others attack her or the chicks?

With future hatchings it may help to....
Keep the broody and nest within the flock but penned so no one bugs the broody or messes up her nest.
Let the broody introduce the chicks to the flock once the chicks are able to run well and moms hormones are still raging. By a week old they should be quick and mom in the height of "protect the kids" mode.

Since this batch is a month old now keep a close eye on them when you turn them loose with the flock.

Also helpful would be to know just how many adults, how much space and if there is a LOT of clutter in the run for them to dart around/behind.

Back
Top Bottom