Can I make my chickens friends?

raccoonguts

Hatching
Aug 16, 2020
Hi! Maybe this title sounds a little odd, so please bear with me.

We lost two of our chickens due to predation and we gave our last hen to someone to look after. In the meantime, we found someone who had to get rid of their hen and rooster, so we agreed to take them in, and we took back our other hen, so we have two hens and a rooster.

the rooster (his name is not brian, silly name but that’s his name!) and our older hen penny at first didn’t get along. we had expected that, because not brian and daisy were bonded together and penny was new, but after a few days they stopped harassing each other and started to coexist well.

yesterday my dad noticed that not brian has started to get really aggressive with penny (pecking her quite hard and like lunging at her) and i’m worried that penny is going to get hurt. i really don’t want this to escalate into having to get rid of one of them or one of them getting injured, so i was hoping that someone would know how to help them get along.

they’re all silkies. penny is about a year old, daisy and not brian are pretty young (daisy hasn’t begun laying eggs yet and he hasn’t started to crow, although i think both of those are going to start soon haha;;)

Are you sure he isn't trying to breed with her?
i’m not sure; i’ve actually missed seeing every time he does it to her because last night i was busy so my dad let them out and locked them up. i’ll ask him if he’s sure that it’s aggressive though!

Back
Top Bottom