can I move baby chicks between 2 brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lisa202, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to all this and am going to be picking up my chicks the week of sept 13th. (I can't wait!!!) I know that i will have to check on the chicks frequently (some say 5 times a day, others say every hour). So since I work from 9-5, I was thinking of having a similar brooder set up at work, at least for the first few weeks, so that I can be with them. My question is this...is it ok to transfer them back and forth every day? I would put them in an enclosed box, heat up my car beforehand, and the ride is only about 7 minutes. I don't want them to be stressed, so I don't know if this is ok or risky.

thanks!

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Why must the chicks be checked every hour? How old are these chicks going to be when you get them?

I can't count how many eggs I've hatched, so I don't know how many chicks I've raised, but I've never checked them every hour....

If I had a sick chick or one that wasn't as vigorous as these others, I would relocate it to a smaller brooder (always with a buddy), but even then I didn't check hourly.

My brooders are in my hatchery, a.k.a. diningroom; once I give them fresh food and water in the AM, and visually check all the chicks out, I go on about my business. It may be 8 hours before I see them again.

I believe that boxing & transporting the chicks twice a day would be VERY stressful too them, and a stressed bird is much more prone to illness. They really will be alright at home everyday [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I agree with the last posting, you don't have to check them very often (you may be fascinated by them and WANT to watch them.....but you really don't NEED to). If the temperature in the brooder is OK, they have plenty of food and drink, they will be just fine left.
    Moving them backwards and forwards to work will stress the little chooks and you will probably lose your job too!

Relax and set them up in your brooder and leave them.

Sandie

4. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    The most important thing is to have your brooder temperature stable and everything ready for them when you get them home. They're so cute you'll WANT to check on them every hour, but it's not necessary. Make sure they have a full feeder and waterer before you leave for work, and they'll be fine. Check them morning and night for pasty butt and clean them up if needed. But they sure don't need hourly checking.

Hauling them back and forth would be VERY stressful. There's no way you can get your car temperature at a stable 90-95 degrees, and the bumping and jostling would not be good. Remember, they had a very stressful trip through the USPS already -- you don't need to add to their stress. Just check them before you leave home and don't worry about them! [​IMG]

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I agree with the other posters. I thought i'd add, that if you take them to work, no one is going to get any work done! [​IMG]

6. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I must have read the same information as you did... some place it says you need to check on your babies at east 5 times daily. I grew up on a farm and remember the huge brooder my father set up as a kid full of hundred of meat chickens. Knowing what they were going to be used for we never really spent much time with them as kids.

But now I am a pround owner of 12 welsummers... I had read up on all the information on thier care... as it has been some years since I was a child [​IMG] they arrived safely late in July...Being a Recreation Director in a nursing facility and hatching other chicks at work I did not think they would mind having my babies there... there are plenty of people to watch them. They arrived on a Tuesday afternoon and I packed everything up on Wednesday morning and brought the box of peeping babies in to work. They were a great hit everyone loved them and wanted to hold them and give them lots of love. WE kept them warm and made sure they did not get pasty butt and were drinking plenty of food and water. I packed them into the car on Wednesday evening and brought them home safe and sound....

I watched them all evening on Wednesday.. sat right on the floor with them for hours... Thursday morning I woke up and visited and took care of the the babies and went to work with out them. They were just wayyy to time consuming packing them in the car.. taking them out and I got no work done at all when they were there!! I stopped home at lunch and they were just fine.. eating, drinking no pasty but and very happy little chicks.
    Now the girls have moved out to the coop.... and I was anxious, we had cold nights and rain for three days.. but I could not keep them in the house any longer....guess what .. they are just fine, scratching and peeping happily in thier new home.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    You don't have to check on them too much- although I think I did for the first two weeks (mostly because I have kids that were playing with them a lot). I think moving them that much might be stressful for them and I would just let them be at home. Right now at 6 weeks I feed/water them in the morning and sometimes check on them when I am outside but I do check on them before bedtime and sometimes at supper time just to make sure they have water. If it is hot I may throw them something cool to put in the coop~ like watermelon or an ice bottle to lay against.

As long as you have given them plenty of water and food they will be fine throughout the day.

8. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    You are going to be an awsome chicken mamma!

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    IMO I would NOT take them back and forth to work! It would be too stressful on them, and too much unnecessary work for you to do. When you get them, you will make sure they have adequate heat, room to move around, a source of water and a source of food. They will be content all day as long as they are not too hot/cold and are kept in a safe place, ie away from dogs and cats! You will do great! I have raised 100's of birds now, and it was only the sick, weak or injured ones I would keep an extra eye on. You can relax...they are much easier than taking care of a cat!

Best of luck![​IMG]

10. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Thanks to all of you for your great advice and reassurance!!!! [​IMG] I feel much better now. I really didn't want to take them to work, but I would if I had to. Thanks again![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by