Can I move my broody hen after she set?

Chickadee-23

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
South Carolina
Im not sure if this where i should post this question. My bantam hen just started sitting 2 days ago, I'm building a new coop it be finish tommorow & i wanted to move her since the new one is more safe, how can i move her & eggs? (I will move them at night since its easier)And if i move her in new coop will she still sit on her eggs? Thank you!! :)

Maybe, maybe not. Some hens are better about being moved/messed with then others. Most of my hens don't mind me moving them or checking under them for new eggs. But, a couple of them don't even tolerate me walking close to them while they're sitting. And moving them, not going to happen. They throw themselves against walls, scream their heads of and trample anything in their path, including eggs if they're there.

As for where your little hen will fall? Thats something you'll have to find out for yourself.

Good luck!

I have the big dog crate all set up the during the day, preferably in the coop where she's setting. Then at night in darkness, I go out with a tiny flashlight and move the broody and her eggs into the back of the cage with her preferred bedding, food, and water. She doesn't get let out until after hatch, unless she obviously gives up on the nest. Most often it does work, but not always. Mary

You could move her with the eggs...and if she doesn't stick with them or tramples them but goes back to broody, start over with new eggs.
2 days is not much to lose, tho the eggs may be.

Ok thanks everyone for your advice, im try to move her & eggs if she dont go back to sitting on them i will just put them in my incubator, and let her start over either way the eggs will hatch! :)

Back
Top Bottom