Can I open an incubator during lockdown?

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all! I’m on day 19 with my eggs, and one has pipped! Unfortunately my incubator doesn’t have a built-in hygrometer, so I must check it manually with one I’ve placed inside the incubator. It’s a JANOEL12. I also really wanna check to see if there are any other ‘pipsqueaks.’ Is it safe to open to incuabtor? I’d only have it open for about 5-10 seconds to check for pips, and about 20ish if I need to add water. I read somewhere to add warm water if needed, is this correct?
Thank you in advance!

I would not touch it I would make sure that the conditions are right before you startnyour lockdown and then after that it's...
"LOCKDOWN".
I've lost a few chicks by taking a peek and being over enthusiastic and checking on a pipped egg. Some chicks take their time to hatch. Once,I had assist in a hatch because I prematurely handled a pipped egg and opened the egg slightly only to discover that the chick hadn't absorbed his yolk just yet.
20200430_063620.jpg

This is Popeye absorbing his yolk... He is blind in one eye..his left.. was all the result of laying like that is that got stuck on the grill and although it's intact I believe he's blind from it.He also had an outi that took a long time for it to dry up and fall off.

JPEG_20200430_183631_7695829860056598774.jpg

20200430_124428.jpg

This is Popeye after finally absorbing his yolk and breaking away from his umbilicum.

I could've avoided this issue if I has a bit of patience.
Update:
Popeye has grown up to be a very good gentleman. I have him with a small flock of females and he's acting like a proper rooster.

Just checked! Humidity was exactly 70% and there were actually two pipsqueaks! I checked once, then again since I couldn’t believe my eyes, and the humidity went from 70% to 61% in just a few seconds but I figure it will jump back quickly. I didn’t need to add water thankfully. 😊🐥🐣

Ya I would'nt either unless it's an emergency.
Probably depends on what the humidity is in the room but here 15 seconds and my humidity is greatly effected.

Just checked! Humidity was exactly 70% and there were actually two pipsqueaks! I checked once, then again since I couldn’t believe my eyes, and the humidity went from 70% to 61% in just a few seconds but I figure it will jump back quickly. I didn’t need to add water thankfully. 😊🐥🐣
Awesome! Also- im sure you know this already, but if you see a pip, it’s always best to never assist unless absolutely needed after 24 hours.

I would not touch it I would make sure that the conditions are right before you startnyour lockdown and then after that it's...
"LOCKDOWN".
I've lost a few chicks by taking a peek and being over enthusiastic and checking on a pipped egg. Some chicks take their time to hatch. Once,I had assist in a hatch because I prematurely handled a pipped egg and opened the egg slightly only to discover that the chick hadn't absorbed his yolk just yet.
View attachment 2342311
This is Popeye absorbing his yolk... He is blind in one eye..his left.. was all the result of laying like that is that got stuck on the grill and although it's intact I believe he's blind from it.He also had an outi that took a long time for it to dry up and fall off.

View attachment 2342318

View attachment 2342312
This is Popeye after finally absorbing his yolk and breaking away from his umbilicum.

I could've avoided this issue if I has a bit of patience.
Update:
Popeye has grown up to be a very good gentleman. I have him with a small flock of females and he's acting like a proper rooster.
Sorry to hear that. Glad he is ok now. I won’t be checking anymore now that I know there is enough water to keep it at 70%

edit: Just to clarify, I didn’t handle any eggs. Just took a peek. 😉

Back
Top Bottom