Can I open an incubator during lockdown?

Awesome! Also- im sure you know this already, but if you see a pip, it’s always best to never assist unless absolutely needed after 24 hours.
Thank you. I do know that, but it’s always a good reminder! I’m not worried (Yet..) since they aren’t due to hatch until September 22nd anyway. 😊
Taking deep breathes. :bow

Sorry to hear that. Glad he is ok now. I won’t be checking anymore now that I know there is enough water to keep it at 70%

edit: Just to clarify, I didn’t handle any eggs. Just took a peek. 😉
Yes I realize that....I just wanted to describe to you the perils of taking things a little farther and actually going in and "saving" a late hatching egg.... here's a picture of an egg out of the same hatch that I took a peek on and I guess the membrane dried up just enough to keep the chick from coming out.
I wasn't trying to be a know-it-all. I was actually trying to share what happens when you don't know what you're doing and you try to do something that you've done before but with a different species we've bred parrots for over 25 years my wife and I, so I am very acquainted with incubators and humidity and such and this is what you get sometimes.For me as well, one quick peek and I've seen membranes whiten within seconds of opening the incubator.
JPEG_20200521_182937_7127469699190854825.jpg
20200524_110905.jpg

Dead in the egg.
There is a tremendous amount of information being shared in this website from good people. Lord knows I've learned a lot people like @ChicKat and @The Moonshiner and a other people.

Last edited:
Yes I realize that....I just wanted to describe to you the perils of taking things a little farther and actually going in and "saving" a late hatching egg.... here's a picture of an egg out of the same hatch that I took a peek on and I guess the membrane dried up just enough to keep the chick from coming out.
I wasn't trying to be a know-it-all. I was actually trying to share what happens when you don't know what you're doing and you try to do something that you've done before but with a different species we've bred parrots for over 25 years my wife and I, so I am very acquainted with incubators and humidity and such and this is what you get sometimes.For me as well, one quick peek and I've seen membranes whiten within seconds of opening the incubator.View attachment 2342362View attachment 2342366
Dead in the egg.
There is a tremendous amount of information being shared in this website from good people. Lord knows I've learned a lot people like @ChicKat and @The Moonshiner and a other people.
Thank you! I didn’t think you were trying to be a ‘know-it-all’ at all. 😊 I like to hear all opinions before I do something, especially when it involves such delicate creatures!
I’m sorry to hear you lost one. I’ll definitely be careful in the future! Thank you for sharing! 😊

Two have hatched! Looks like 3 others have pipped! They aren’t even due until tomorrow!
F5E5AA67-3EB6-4717-B130-BE5153AB7B00.jpeg
FC82949C-8FA2-4B56-9FA1-DF53002044C8.jpeg

One pipped this morning, and seems to have progressed enough to breathe now. I know hatching takes a long time, but I’m just wondering at what point exactly is it nessecary to assist? It hasn’t even been 24 hours yet, so I’m only 98% worried. 😉

Back
Top Bottom