Can I? Or even should I?

nursecat9

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
I have 25 pullets that are starting to lay, (22 weeks old) and only 1 SS cockerel (also 22 weeks old). He is not crowing yet, nor performing his manly duties. I have another coop with bantam cochins that has too many roos in it. They have been crowing since they were 6 weeks old, and performing their duties, or at least trying to for about 2 weeks now. They are 13 weeks old.

I was thinking of putting 2 of the bantam cockerels in with the bigger girls. Would this be an ok time of doing it, and what is the best way? Putting them in at night once the others are asleep? Never done this, so I need lots of suggestions. Thanks!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Cant hurt!
There can be a bit of a logistical problem.... I have a bantam rooster that is in love with one of my Jersey Giant hens.....The little guy get an "A" for effort but he just isnt big enough! He will be trying to do his thing and the hen keeps walking around like hes not even there!
Sometimes size DOES matter!

edited due to lack of schoolin'

Last edited:
Thanks...is it better to put them in at night and let them roost together vs. just putting them together first thing in the morning? I don't want the girls to gang up on the guys..was thinking of putting 2 of the bantams in with them to help with pecking. Does that sound about right? I'm also hoping this helps with all the crowing that goes on in the bantam pen...too much testosterone! They are constantly showing off for each other! I think it's really funny, but the crowing just drives my husband crazy!
barnie.gif

I like to do the initial get together during the daytime so I can see how bad it's going to get, or if there is even going to be a problem. If all goes well after a few supervised "playdates" I do the big move at night.

So I put 2 of the boys in this morning for a couple of minutes. It did not go well. 1 flew up on my shoulder as if to say "protect me mama"! The other tried to hold his own, but was pecked something awful. So they went back to the man house. They've been surprisingly less talkative though! LOL!
celebrate.gif

I was thinking about this earlier, trying to figure out why I seldom have that type of problem. I think MAYBE its because my guys run free all day on about 3 acres of pasture and woods....escape is indeed possible and by days end theyve chased each other to the point of not really being interested anymore.
Sounds good anyway!

Back
Top Bottom