Can I paint my Hovabator?

Pent

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Obviously not now while its in use, but would it be safe for my eggs in the future if I painted the outside of my Hovabator? Its white styrofoam, and no matter how much I clean it, it always looks dirty and ugly. I was looking at those cans of paint that make a surface look like stone, I've had great results with it on styrofoam in the past. I'd cover the windows with tape and make sure the holes remained clear of paint, I'm just concerned about certain screws that hold the heating element in place, they seem to heat up when the 'bator is running, and I was concerned that this might release toxic fumes or be a fire hazard. Any thoughts? I'd like to be able to show people my eggs or hatching chicks, but I'm embarrassed of the ugly-as-sin incubator.

Obviously not now while its in use, but would it be safe for my eggs in the future if I painted the outside of my Hovabator? Its white styrofoam, and no matter how much I clean it, it always looks dirty and ugly. I was looking at those cans of paint that make a surface look like stone, I've had great results with it on styrofoam in the past. I'd cover the windows with tape and make sure the holes remained clear of paint, I'm just concerned about certain screws that hold the heating element in place, they seem to heat up when the 'bator is running, and I was concerned that this might release toxic fumes or be a fire hazard. Any thoughts? I'd like to be able to show people my eggs or hatching chicks, but I'm embarrassed of the ugly-as-sin incubator.

I don't see the problem, but do not use any kind of sealer. It will melt the styro foam. I am not too knowledgeable about paint, but I know that acrylic paints work well with just about everything, but the outside of your incubator might look a bit chalky. I would recommend Latex paint, but I am not very knowledgeable about Latex Paint on warm styro foam.

You might ask someone here about oil based paint. It may work.

Back
Top Bottom